Cooling Canon 450D

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Cooling Canon 450D

Post by Airconvent »

Great effort Kelvin!
I was never able to have the patience nor the skill to undertake such projects, not forgetting killing a DSLR in the process.
Maybe you can make a few more and sell them at your retail website CKC "Cool Kelvin Cameras Ltd" haha.
But would really show the difference if you had a photo comparison on the performance before and after the mod.

BTW, it still takes normal photos? I guess people would be very disturbed if you do street photography with that! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Airconvent wrote:Great effort Kelvin!
I was never able to have the patience nor the skill to undertake such projects, not forgetting killing a DSLR in the process.
Maybe you can make a few more and sell them at your retail website CKC "Cool Kelvin Cameras Ltd" haha.
But would really show the difference if you had a photo comparison on the performance before and after the mod.

BTW, it still takes normal photos? I guess people would be very disturbed if you do street photography with that! :)
Lol....good business proposal Richard! [smilie=embarrassed2.gif]
Yes the camera still retains it's full functions, including auto focus with EF lenses. Just that it is spectrum enhanced, so colour balance is off for normal photography. :mryellow:
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

Just curious, why is it spectrum-enhanced? Apologies for the noobish question.
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Hi Andrew, most CCD/CMOS inherently has very high sensitivity to Red and IR bandwidth apart from the usual visual spectrums. Camera maunfacturers have to place some sorts of IR filters in front of the sensor to mitigate that or else it will mess up the colour balance. Incidentally most deep sky targets are rich in HII (red end of the spectrum), so by replacing the original filter with one that let in a wider spectrums of light will boost the sensitivity of the camera. I had mine replaced with Astrodon clear filter (Astrodon Inside) and it works extremely well. :P
joachim.ong
Favourite scope: 150cm Telescope at Gunma Observatory

Post by joachim.ong »

Hi guys! Digging this old thread up because I've decided to begin cooling of my 450D too. Any chance if you could share how you powered the cooling module? I'm thinking of using AC via a 12V adapter of some sort (perhaps cigarette lighter) but no idea if that would be safe...
[smilie=confused.gif]