Does anyone have a Lathe machine ?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
PharAstro
Favourite scope: Nexstar 8SE

Does anyone have a Lathe machine ?

Post by PharAstro »

I need to modify a T-ring adapter. Basically, it's too long and I can't reach focus when I insert the reducer in my 8SE. The mod will involve cutting it in two, then turning an OD on one piece and an ID on the other piece to press-fit them back together with a shorter total length. This is for a Samsung NX mount, and I can find a shorter one online. I can operate a lathe, but don't have access to one.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Does anyone have a Lathe machine ?

Post by Airconvent »

Wow lathe machine? I have not used one since my school days.
You can ask any of those mechanical workshops in the industrial estate areas. I previously asked one to fabricate my adapter mounting plate for my ETX105 but I think that business has since moved on.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
PharAstro

Post by PharAstro »

Thanks, Airconvent. I might have to go that route. I've had some machining done at AMK Ind Park II before. Just trying to save the $50 they'll charge me for this particular job (I bought adapter for $15). Plus it would be fun to cut metal. Haven't done that in quite a while.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

the problem with these industrial shops is that, the $50 they charge you is probably a net loss for them, unless their machine is sitting idle.

i have had this problem so many times that I am thinking of buying a Sherline lathe from SGTooling. It's about $1100 - so not exactly cheap, but just about the same price as a high-end eyepiece. Not particularly unreasonable.

my wife just won't let me buy one because I already have too much junk and our place is too small...
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Times like this, I wish SG had a decent Makerspace.
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Check this out Charlie...its a start :)

@ PharAstro - Maybe you can find some facility you need in all the places featured. :)

http://sgmakers.com/makerspaces/
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

The car repair shops in Sin Ming, many of them have lathes. They use them for refacing brake discs.

If you have a favourite shop in that area, maybe they could help you with your adapter.
PharAstro

Post by PharAstro »

Thanks for input, guys. It's nice to see I'm not alone! As it "turns" out, one engineer that works for me has a small lathe at home. It took him a couple weeks to dig it out of storage and find all the tooling, but then he made my part. Have to give him a good bonus this year!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

as it "turns"out eh. Ha ha. [smilie=admire.gif]
Grey
Favourite scope: Tiny1 camera of course

Post by Grey »

abit late to the party but there's OMG (One Maker Group) at 111 Middle Road, National Design Centre. They have a lathe and a CNC if any more work needs to be done. Goes by a membership system.

http://onemakergroup.sg/