Tourist from Germany searches a place to observe the sky

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Hbman
Favourite scope: Vixen Custom. 60L

Tourist from Germany searches a place to observe the sky

Post by Hbman »

Hello,
next week on 23/10/18 I arrive in Singapore for a five day holiday. I come from Germany where it is impossible to see objects like Magellanic cloud or the southern cross.
I know, Singapore is a very bright city. But are there any recommendations where to go to observe the southern sky ?
Evening / morning, that depends of what is possible to see then. It should be a safe place and also it should be possible to go there with public transport because I have no car.
I have with me my DSLR camera, some lenses (14mm Samyang,...), a tripod, further a binocular. I simply want to watch and take some photos that I can stack at home

Thank you for your support
Holger
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Tourist from Germany searches a place to observe the sky

Post by Airconvent »

Hi,
Welcome to Singapore. The 2 dwarf galaxies are still a challenge in Singapore but the Southern Cross would be an easy naked eye object. Don't forget to check out Omega Centauri and the Jewel Box too. These ones are easy to see anywhere as long as you are in an open space and more importantly, no clouds for which there is alot in Singapore!
Do drop by the Science Centre on Friday nights as they do an regular observation session there at their Observatory and you can also talk to Albert, the owner of the astronomy shop there too, who also happens to be the President of the Astronomical Society of Singapore.

You can also check out here for latest sessions

viewtopic.php?t=22847&start=20
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
rlow

Post by rlow »

Hi Holger

Welcome!

There are several parks along the southern edge of Singapore which are accessible by public transport and generally safe. Examples are Marina South, East Coast Park, West Coast Park, Sentosa southern beaches, Labrador Park etc. We can discuss further of you need more details.
Richard Low
Hbman
Favourite scope: Vixen Custom. 60L

Post by Hbman »

Hi,
thank you very much for the recommendations. My favourite place so far is Sentosa beach. Sunset is ca 6:30 pm ? Then I can combine it with a visit of the island.
rlow

Post by rlow »

Yes, Sentosa would be a nice location with three public beaches. Of these three, maybe try Tanjong Beach which is furthest south and furthest away from lights. Sunset is usually around 7.10pm
Richard Low