Anyone used a 10x camera to shoot anything?

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The 200x must be using digital zoom... that is quite useless becuase the image quality of digital zoom is lousy... should use only the optical zoom... :)
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:

Post by Guest »

:lol:
Hi WeiXing and Airconvent (I don't know your name and hence call you as it is),

okay, I have a nikon coolpix 775 and a newt reflector using the 32mm lens, what kind of adaptor do I need?

next, could I use this coolpix 775 to take photo of moon and deep-sky objects? I checked this digi-cam and cannot find any manual exposure control. How to?

cheers,
eric goh
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Nikon 775 is not very suitable for astrophotography, but it still can be done... :) But may be limited to the Moon, since your one seem do not have a remote control. Anyway, I'm not fimilar with this model but I think you first need the UR-E3 Step Down Ring Lens Adapter For CoolPix 775. Then find an adapter or adapter eyepiece that can connect your camera to the telescope. You can ask either McGill or HARLEQUIN ASTRONOMICS for a suitable adapter.
Hope the infomation is useful to you... :)
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Nikon 775 is not very suitable for astrophotography, but it still can be done... :) But may be limited to the Moon, since your one seem do not have a remote control. Anyway, I'm not fimilar with this model but I think you first need the UR-E3 Step Down Ring Lens Adapter For CoolPix 775. Then find an adapter or adapter eyepiece that can connect your camera to the telescope. You can ask either McGill or HARLEQUIN ASTRONOMICS for a suitable adapter.
Hope the infomation is useful to you... :)
If you purchase the scopetronix digi-Tadapter it comes with the step down ring as standard. Check with Sam on the suitable one or you can check out www.scopetronix.com for details. Alternaitvely, it would be easier to make use of the Maxview 40 instead..

I'm not sure about the 775 but my 4300 is actually an enhanced 885. It can image up to 8 seconds in regular mode or 1 min in bulb mode. However, you need to hold the button in bulb mode, so vibration is of concern. This can be solved using a the nikon remote control but that cost $140!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets

Post by Guest »

:shock: Well, I bought the Nikon 775 digi cam not for astro purpose. So period.

Next, anyone could recommend some digi cam for the astro and also for normal shooting. Recently, lots of new models and selling reasonable (still high) price for hobby users.

Let me start: fujifilm S3000 (this one with Manual exposure!), S5000, Minolta Z1, ..., Mustek Digital Video DV4000 (is this good? road show at Toa Payoh HDB Hub on 20 -30 Oct. Anyone care to comment this?)

cheers,
eric goh
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
There are too many model that may be suitable and I don't think I want to recommend one... if no good, you will going to "kill me on sight"... ha ha :D
Instead, I will list out the feature that you need in digital camera for astrophotography:
1) Manual Exposure Settings (shutter & aperture)
2) Manual Exposure Times (at least 15s)
3) Remote control (require if exposure more than 1/60s)
4) Manual ISO setting
5) Manual Focus
6) Got Lens Adapter with Thread or Thread Lens

I think if can find one that can provide the above feature, it should be quite suitable for astrophotography... :)

Hope the information help.... :D
Yang Weixing