telescope

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
steven

telescope

Post by steven »

Hi everybody. I hope I have come to the right place to ask some help. I am interested in building a simple telescope. Can anyone tell me how to go abt doing this? Thanks.

Steven
kayheem

Re: telescope

Post by kayheem »

steven wrote:Hi everybody. I hope I have come to the right place to ask some help. I am interested in building a simple telescope. Can anyone tell me how to go abt doing this? Thanks.

Steven
Hi Steven,

You have asked a very general question. You will need to supply more info like:
1. What do you want to build? e.g. refractor, reflector, Mak-Cass, Mak-Newt etc
2. What is your budget?
3. What is your skill level with tools and basic math?

Generally speaking, you can get optical sets (i.e. objective lenses or mirrors) and other parts (e.g. focuser, mirror cells etc) and just fit them together. You will also need the services of a machinist and/or woodworker depending on what you want to build. The quality of finish is usually not as nice as one bought, but you can customize it as you wish and the satisfaction of the completed job is high. Be prepared to spend time on the plans and running around to source for parts and services.

The simplest way is for you to get Vixen-type research grade refractor objectives and parts from some local dealer (e.g. Sam of Harlequin Astro) and assemble yourself. You can end up with a scope that is better than the usual Skywatcher-range of refractor.

Kay Heem
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

I don't think its easy to build a complete telescope from scratch here like they do in the US. For one, we would have problems getting materials and assistance to grind our optics.
Instead, it would be better that you get your hands on an old 80mm OTA and retrofit from there. I know Matthew was able to do alot of conversions on his ST80. Talk to Samuel at Harlequin Astronomics about getting parts. Maybe he sells OTA bodies! And of course "Dobsonian Building Consultant" Kay Heem would be able to offer his valued advice :-)

If you want to start simple, perhaps this can help :
http://www.diffractive-optics.com/asp/education.asp

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets