anyone has extra knob?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
hlyf

anyone has extra knob?

Post by hlyf »

hi all,
our school's mount is missing one slow-mo knob, prob got lost somewhere.. anyone here happens to have an extra knob/ knows where i can get such spare parts?
thanks!

hannah
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

HI Hannah,
You need to be specific on what slo-mo knob you have lost...
Is it the all time favourite Manfrotto 410? Or the one on an equatorial mount.
If its the latter, you can check with Samuel from Harlequin Astronomics.

For the former, its going to be difficult as Manfrotto does not manufacture such spares. If the knob came off completely, you may need to drill a hole and attach a turning rod in place of the knob.

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

One look on the topic header looks somehow suggestive! Hahahha, anyway, i'll probably guess you guys are missing the slo-mo control knob from a SP equatorial mount, so my best guess is to get a spare from where u got your setup from, eg AstroScientific, etc etc.. Otherwise, why not have the fun of doing one yourself?

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
You can go sim lim to find all sort of knob... although they are intended for Hi-Fi, but I think a little DIY should make these knob suitable... :)
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Yes, you're right Weixing! It's actually around the same diameter! and the die-cut is the same. So i'll guess hannah can find her knob there but do they have long ones too?

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

it's for a refractor mount.. not sure what exactly the mount is though :? actually we have an extra knob in the room too, but somehow it doesn't fit (diameter too small) issit possible to drill the diameter larger? i would think that's a rather drastic measure though..
sim lim, try to find from what kind of shops? camera?

hannah
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

hlyf wrote:it's for a refractor mount.. not sure what exactly the mount is though :? actually we have an extra knob in the room too, but somehow it doesn't fit (diameter too small) issit possible to drill the diameter larger? i would think that's a rather drastic measure though..
sim lim, try to find from what kind of shops? camera?

hannah
Hi Hannah,
Its really difficult to even offer suggestions if you do not provide a pic of what the configuration look like. What scope, what adapter, what tripod?
if in doubt, use whatever is available. A touch of superglue is good improvising...

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Haha, hi hannah, again :P

I think I know your scope. The C8 right? ;) So I am quite sure it's an equatorial mount. I'm sure there are shops out there that sell such knobs. Just go scout around accessory shops, or since it's school scope, just suck school money and go astro scientific :lol:
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

ok.... hello zong :P
nonono... not the c8.. refractor
just recalled, it's an alt-azi mount. can't provide a pic at the moment cos the scopes are kept in a room and i dun have the key.. :(
will try looking around shops at simlim and elsewhere... thanks!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Try Sim Lim Tower (diagonally oppersite Sim Lim Square)... it got a lots of electronics shops that sell all kind of knobs.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: