AMD 64 or Intel 64 processor???

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

I don't agree that systems now reach the point where it exceeds expectations, whether it be Intel or AMD or 64bit or dualcore and whatnot. No computer is fast enough. Remember the DOS days? DOS loaded in 8s flat.. and even with win98 on a 3GHz computer it still takes 30s to load! Of course, I'm not giving a fair comparison since DOS is command line based and Windows is GUI.. But the only day I say my system is fast is when I see a 30s WinXP bootup someday. Add Windows Vista to the line, erm, I think no current system will be able to load Vista in <1min. Hehe..

Aryanto, I think the issue of incompatibility in AMD has been resolved for many years already. about 6 years ago when AMD was still a young player coming out with their K6s and K7s there were problems as such, but since the days of Athlon all the cheapo lousy motherboard manufacturers have gone bust :) I had a few friends in camp last time who recommended AMDs to their friends while I was still supporting Intel, and they tell me no problems with burning/videoediting/encoding have occured for all the computers they assembled, even since the Duron days. MSI/Gigabyte/Asus are nice motherboard brands, though personally I have had bad encounters with Asus and so I trust MSI more.
Aryanto

Post by Aryanto »

zong wrote:though personally I have had bad encounters with Asus and so I trust MSI more.
What problem you have with Asus and is that resolved amicably?

My MSI AGP video card went bust after 1 year. I dunno what is wrong but when I replace it with another AGP video card, my computer works so I am running it with that AGP card I pick up from other people throw-away computer. :P hahaha. Although video memory is just 32MB, I did not notice much diff with 128MB I had originally, which up in smokes.

Anyway cannot do much since warranty is 1 year. Bad bad..
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

So far my experience with asus is they make good motherboards...and good driver support after that. my only gripe is their website is way too slow!

its true there is no such thing as a "fast enough" cpu generically but there is such a thing as "fast enough for me"...heh heh..
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
zong
Administrator

Post by zong »

Yes, Asus/MSI/Gigabyte are all still good motherboard manufacturers. I just tend to trust MSI and Gigabyte more. It's more of personal preferences.

There was once an Asus board sold cheaper than the other 2 makers and my friend was bugging me to cut on budget, so i bought him that board that came with more features and yet was cheaper. However after about 2 years, my friend keeps coming back to me every 2 months saying com autorestarts for no reason. I'm guessing it's the motherboard, because i've changed nearly all replaceable parts and still no solution remains. It's still usable now in its 4th year, but the constant nagging from my friend makes me distrust Asus. Maybe it's just my friend suay :P
Aryanto

Post by Aryanto »

zong wrote:Yes, Asus/MSI/Gigabyte are all still good motherboard manufacturers. I just tend to trust MSI and Gigabyte more. It's more of personal preferences.

There was once an Asus board sold cheaper than the other 2 makers and my friend was bugging me to cut on budget, so i bought him that board that came with more features and yet was cheaper. However after about 2 years, my friend keeps coming back to me every 2 months saying com autorestarts for no reason. I'm guessing it's the motherboard, because i've changed nearly all replaceable parts and still no solution remains. It's still usable now in its 4th year, but the constant nagging from my friend makes me distrust Asus. Maybe it's just my friend suay :P
auto restart could be motherboard, could also be memory defects.
zong
Administrator

Post by zong »

Aryanto, the memory was changed and upgraded. Motherboard's the only answer to the problem, tho i wish to disbelieve it as it'll mean more work for me to upgrade his computer when it dies. No more warranty for the motherboard..

Post by sTiCkY »

my friend keeps coming back to me every 2 months saying com autorestarts for no reason
it could be a power problem, not enough power from the power box.
QuantumGravity

Post by QuantumGravity »

Auto-restarts can almost possibly be any part of the system, from a not-properly-sitted/faulty RAM, to a spoilt graphics card, or even overheating issues.

Asus is supposed to be one of the better brands, being a 1st tier supplier compared to 2nd tiers gigabyte and MSI. But DFI is the best :D
Aryanto

Post by Aryanto »

zong wrote:Aryanto, the memory was changed and upgraded. Motherboard's the only answer to the problem, tho i wish to disbelieve it as it'll mean more work for me to upgrade his computer when it dies. No more warranty for the motherboard..
Hmmm you have extra parts? Why not re-create the system with all good parts, with same motherboard and see if the proble m still there? If yes then confirm you can toss out the motherboard. :roll:
river

Post by river »

Got this when I was transfering some .avi files from imaging system to portable HDD. I hope new system dont have this problem, heh.. :wink:

well.. it really does not take that long.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.