Orion 80mm ED

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Wow, just check the Orion site....Looks like its a long wait of 6 months which falls on my birthday!!!

http://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?itemI ... 242&KICKER

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

"Its fully multi-coated 80mm objective doublet contains one element crafted from extra-low-dispersion FPL-53 glass."

hoho the same piece of glass as used by astro physics in their starfire series wor. just that the mating glass might not be the same and the design confirm different.

i seen thru it la, someone in sg owns it but i'm not telling who.

colour correction is gd la,80mm, f/7.5 and fpl-53, even lousy design oso wun show much colour.

focuser is so so nia, looks like televue but not as smooth as samuel's pronto.

overall it's a quite a gd buy, cheap and gd. i used to think that this is just a cheapo semi-apo wif only fk-01 glass, but it turns out to be fpl-53.

~MooEy~
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Let me guess... the ED80 belongs to Vin Snr??? :)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

acc wrote:Let me guess... the ED80 belongs to Vin Snr??? :)
yes...he's a prime suspect. considering he has not been posting much , maybe its because he is too busy getting acquainted with the scope? Of course, the other suspects included Wira and Michael Lo too...After all, the latter has sold his Mewlon and is now cash-positive :lol:

Mooey : Franklyl speaking, since its sold as an Apo, I would expect that there should not be any colours at all. Otherwise all those quality-conscious Americans will lynch Orion good! From the pic, it has a very nice and cool design. I thought it look higher class than the Televues with a good finish. Is that how it is in real life? When will you be seeing it again? Do ask vin..eh...I mean the owner to write a report soonest and post it in the review section...

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

acc wrote:Let me guess... the ED80 belongs to Vin Snr??? :)
Siow...not me la....

Suddenly I feel it's a bit too long...f/6 would be nice....but f/7.5..Umm..too long leh...