Any recommendations for eyepieces?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Grievous

Any recommendations for eyepieces?

Post by Grievous »

Good day all,

I'm kind of interested in getting a high power EP for planetary and finding DSOs like planetary nebs. Problem is, i have limited experiece in using 2 of the brands i favored currently: Pentax and Tak. Specifically, the XP3.8 and 7.5LE. Anyone tried both before? Will like your views on this. Thanks! :)

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
elton

Post by elton »

I recommend the 5 and 7.5mm LEs (have them both). For that short focal length, they have reasonable eye-relief of 10mm plus excellent optics. With 5 elements, they are brighter than radians / XLs, important for faint planetary neb. The XP3.8 is particularly good for planets but eye relief a little tight. If you can bear with it its is probably even better than the LE almost everything else in the same focal length (naglers / radians etc).
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Okay, that wraps it up then! Start scrapping and saving! Thanks Elton!

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

http://voltaire.csun.edu/roland/coating.html

go figure out which is which.

~MooEy~
elton

Post by elton »

my guess is pentax xl for no. 2 and televue panoptics / naglers / radians for 3,4, 6 and 7?? It is true that the many-element TVs introduce a yellowish / brownish tinge. I have noticed it in the T6 nagler, radian and very slightly in the panoptic (count the number of elements and u know why). The TV plossl on the other hand is very clean, but so are most other few-element eyepieces.