Newbie question

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
toolkit

Post by toolkit »

neoterryjoe wrote:In addition, you might want to join us for observation trips to mersing/batu layar for maximum satisfaction. There is one coming up at the end of may.
Very interested in it. But I would like to a least catch a glimspe
of planets and stars on my own scope first :D

Most likely would be joining you guys once I amass
a bit more knowledge ...
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Vinsnr Nexstar 5 is a good idea too. Well, it depends on your budget and how much you want to go into this hobby. Carrying a 8 inch dob is no problem with me as I am keen in seeing things and such a burden is not a burden; I use a trolley in fact so basically I don't need much strength pushing my scope to any destination; I just assemble the scope onto the trolley with the OTA pointing 90 degree and just push it, simple and no strain. In fact carrying a 8 inch SCT with tripod is tremendously much tougher option for one person. CC even carries around the 10 inch Orion dob which is really much heavier and bulkier than the 8 inch Orion dob that I have. :P
toolkit

Post by toolkit »

Hi Vinsnr,

Does the NextStar 5 has any warranity left?
As it is a GOTO scope, what are the chances of it failing?
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi,

My comment will be to check out some of the scopes yourself at our regular observation sessions. See how the scopes work so that you can make a better informed decision. I'm sure that many of us will be happy to chat with you in person about this.

Cheers,
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Yo Toolkit,
didn't know that reservist can be so fun horr!! BTW, I also selling my scope. Since u dun want goto. Mine is a good Maksutov Cassegrain, mounted on a German equatorial drive. The good thing abt it is that it is easy to use, no frills and extra bells and whistle. Being 5 inch in aperature, it can see most brighter deep sky objects in greater detail, and texture, compared to other systems.Being MCT, it does not have any false colours, and could easily be maintained(bcos MCT design do not need to be collimated). Further more, it is veri easy to carry around. It can fit most bodypac sling bags that ppls bring to school. and th tripod is carryable by hand. It comes with a 9x50 finder. Which is bigger than most 6x30mm, thus can spot more.........

pm me if u r interested to knoe more. I am willing to alter the package to suit ur needs and budget.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Wah... good deals all around.

I wish I had all these offers when I was starting out many years ago!
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Wah... good deals all around.

I wish I had all these offers when I was starting out many years ago!
Maybe we should have a "If I were toolkit, which scope will I choose" poll :-)
toolkit

Post by toolkit »

After much thought, I think I will drop in at the next observation
session. This will help me to get a look at the visuals each type
of telescope it offers. Advice from you gurus will also help alot.
Right now, I am interested in star gazing with the naked eye,
going to the ob session will help to see if I am willing to
take it to the next level.
By the way, any observation session coming up?