Newbie attempt at Saturn

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

elton wrote:Sam Chng tried once to use the toucam on my teleport to image mars. Even at f5 (1250mm), placing the image on the chip was tough but we managed to grab a few dozen frames. Focus was dubious. I tried to guide by manually moving the dob with some success but we ended up letting the image drift across the ccd while imaging. This is the result of his image processing. Still possible i guess...
Perhaps you should mount your teleport on an equatorial table for tracking. This will enable you to take more shots and lessen the frustration quite a bit.

Kay Heem
dew

Post by dew »

This should be a very good Mars image when go through a certain process!!!
Could I see the final result?
sorry, havent done anything to these batch of photos.. in the middle of my exams right now.. will definately be doing alot of experimentation after exams though.. ill post my results then..
Anyway, care to share with us the setting of the camera for your shot, such as resolution, shutter speed and ISO??? This will sure help us who are new to Astrophotography
if i'm not wrong the shutter speed is either 1/15 or 1/30.. hmm.. or maybe 1/8.. sorry, i cant really remember.. actually for shutter speed i just experimented and used the one i thought looked best.. benefit of using a digicam. anyway i think the best shutter speed to use might vary between nights and with different aperture..
i left the ISO setting to auto but again, you can always experiment..
as for other stuff, i was thinking which would be better, turning the cameras image sharpening to the max or to keep it off completely.. gotta try that out next time..
to buy a spare battery in sls but the $150+ price tag turned me off...
Already invested quite a bit on the digi-T, so do not want to spend too much more...

back to the photo, so you are saying that you kept on clicking for up to 70 images and then use registrax to merge them?
anyway rich, if you want to stack your photos of mars with your ETX and 4300 setup, i think the only way to go is with the remote.. i was amazed at how it made life so much easier for me.. and it expands your photography capabilities too.. with it i actually managed to get a pretty decent pic of M7 a few months back.. but believe it or not, my mom accidentally deleted them, along with several hundred of my pre-opposition pics of mars.. sigh. nvm i'm gonna be trying to do it again with the pleaides (hmm.. did i spell that right)

eu-wen