Anybody explain to me how this worked?!

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Anybody explain to me how this worked?!

Post by zong »

Hi all, the past 2 days were quite good skies right? I loved it, but i was at the ngee ann poly ANE training camp so i didn't post... so that day, i tried taking a pic using a normal (very, very normal) digicam. Exposure in my cam was 0.0, and i just banged any part of the sky without hope that there would be any stars coming out.

http://zongyao.tripod.com/Astro/try1.JPG

I actually got them from a normal digicam! but they are quite badly done, i am not good with a camera. I only know that since exposure is too short, the bright stars seem not so bright. But I don't understand the why some stars are red in here. Also, how come the stars can be captured in here with such short exposure and a lousy digicam? And if possible, someone help me identify this part of the sky! I took without hope it came out, so I didn't bother which part of the sky I was taking... Thanks for enlightening me!
Nikonian Foo

Post by Nikonian Foo »

Looks like most of the "stars" are noise from your camera's CCD.
dew

Post by dew »

yeah alot of the dots look like noise but many of them are stars i think.. how long was the exposure and at what ISO setting? cool man.. must try myself..

eu-wen
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Hi Zong, the 'stars' are noise present on your CCD chip itself. They are just hot pixels where heat interferes with the electronics and somehow change the value of the pixel. Nice try tho', time for you to invest on a better digicam prehaps? Anyway, send my regards to the ANE comm. Thanks.

Charlie
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Huh.. so I was excited for nothing.. :cry:

Thanks ppl anyway for tellin' me.. I don't have a scope so not planning really for a cam yet... if my parents tio 4d then i may have chance for a scope :lol:
ykchia

Post by ykchia »

Hi :

Why not try to shoot at known bright stars ( Sirius, Canopus...) using the slowest shutter speed, manual set to infinity focus and play with the zoom a bit... a tripod might help to prevent..

Most frames will have hot pixels, some digicam will do a dark-subtraction..

Digicam by itself is good enough for twilight shots showing planets.

rgds
yK
www.ykchia.com