Moon and Planets lens

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
byau

Moon and Planets lens

Post by byau »

Hi,

I had purchased the Skywatcher 127. Tried using it to look at Jupiter the other day with the 10mm lens that came together withe the package but was not quite satisfied with the result. Could roughly see 2 brown belt on the planet but was very fuzzy and no other detail can be noted. Maybe should get a filter and barlow. Could also see the 4 moons as tiny dot. The 25mm was also not so effective as they are low magnification and the planet look very tiny. As for the full moon, it was too bright and white and there were not much contrast and details.

Are there any recommendation that you could provide specially for watching the moon and planets with very sharp and good details for my Skywatcher. It would also be good if they come with good eye relief as I wear eyegalsses. Thanks.

Rgds
Bernie
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Hi Bernie,

If we're talking about planetary eyepieces, most of those in the affordable range do perform pretty well (for the price) especially where contrast and consistency of sharpness are concerned. However, they are known to have pretty short eye relief. Still, different individuals have different tolerance levels, and it'll be great if the dealer can allow you to try them out before you buy.

But if you want to invest in a good high power eyepiece with good eye relief and a generous field of view for a very comfortable observing experience, you may want to consider investing in Televue's Radians or Pentax's new XW's. Eyepieces in both series feature 20mm eye relief and fields of view of 60 and 70 deg respectively. Eyepieces in both series are in the $5XX-$6XX range.
Samuel Ng
kayheem

Re: Moon and Planets lens

Post by kayheem »

byau wrote:Hi,

I had purchased the Skywatcher 127. Tried using it to look at Jupiter the other day with the 10mm lens that came together withe the package but was not quite satisfied with the result. Could roughly see 2 brown belt on the planet but was very fuzzy and no other detail can be noted. Maybe should get a filter and barlow. Could also see the 4 moons as tiny dot. The 25mm was also not so effective as they are low magnification and the planet look very tiny. As for the full moon, it was too bright and white and there were not much contrast and details.

Are there any recommendation that you could provide specially for watching the moon and planets with very sharp and good details for my Skywatcher. It would also be good if they come with good eye relief as I wear eyegalsses. Thanks.

Rgds
Bernie
Hi Bernie,

I have used a similar scope before and it was quite good. Using a 10mm eyepiece may give a small image, but it should be still quite sharp. If the image was shimmering, the blurring may be just due to atmospheric turbulence.

You can ask any of our residential experts to check out your scope or you can borrow an eyepiece to see if it makes a difference.

Kay Heem.
nF
Administrator

Post by nF »

Topic moved from equipment database to equipment discussion due to irrelevant content. The threads for Equipment Database is for users to post the quipment they have.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Ha Ha.. Welcome to the SkyWatcher 127 family.. hee hee.. :D

If the image is fuzzy, I think it is cause by the air turbulence. These few days, weather are real bad.

Also, human eye are not good at picking up details at low light, so you need to let your eye get use to it. After a few session, you should be able to pick up more details than before.

By the way, I find those Super Plossl are quite good and they are cheap. I would recommend you get a few plossl before buying those expensive eyepiece.

Happy viewing... :D
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Moon and Planets lens

Post by Airconvent »

byau wrote:Hi,

Rgds
Bernie
mmmm..25m eyepiece should yield a very sharp image, for my ETX anyway. the images starts to soften a lttle after 15mm. I am assuming either your collimation is out or th seeing condition simply is not good....
or your expectation of a sharp image is different from mine ! :lol:

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets