Mersing on 16 Jan 04

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
MCYM

Mersing on 16 Jan 04

Post by MCYM »

Hello to all & pre CNY greetings,

After a couple of months break from Mersing trips due to monsoon season. Revisited there last Friday night with Jeff. This time we have a good news to break. For those who are heading there in the coming months, the ride into Tanjong Resang unofficial observation site is not as rough as before. The 4km off-road experience, is now leveled and that makes it a joy to drive.

On the flip side of development, Mersing town have recently erected more
sodium street lamps in recent months (before the roundabout junction),
seemingly causing increase light pollution on the southern skies. I did
not realised the presence of these lamps last October.

Despite scattered clouds, we still have enough opportunity captured a few
objects during our brief 7 hour session. We could also see the outer
fringe of the Milky Way.
It was unmistakabling dry the whole night, our stuff remain absolutely dew free throughout. However we had to content with the strong wind. As a result, it limited our long focal length imaging attempts. While Jeff may
have some images to contribute, here is a montages of familiar objects images i have processed.

http://pachome1.pacific.net.sg/~audiowo ... 040116.jpg

Clockwise from top
1. M42, M43 and NGC1972.
2. Orion constellation with a wisp of Bernard's loop. (red nebulosity on bottom)
3. Pleaides M45.
4. The black eye galaxy M64
5. Another spiral galaxy.... M100

Cant wait to head back there for Feb new moon. The darkskies remain as captivating as ever. I hope Remus is organizing
another trip there for Singastro members real soon.

Clear skies

Matthew
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Hi Matthew,

Interesting work you have there!! Yeah, hopefully the weather will pull through, will think of going up in feb during new moon. But before that, would need to sort out some guidescope and tube ring issues. Don't have a ready imaging system as yet.

RCJ