How old is our Universe?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
simei-sky

Post by simei-sky »

Hi All,

Oh my, oh my. Sorry to you all. It is not my intention to bring in creationism and religious theories into this tread(that is why the terms are general and not specific). If I did unintentional, I am sorry. My only reason is to marvel how the universe, galaxies and solar systems are formed, it that not astronomy?(you look at them and imagine how they are formed with so many wonderful variations)

Well, better cut it short or might end up with more confusion. As suggested, it is only right that we should stop here.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi simei-sky
Thanks for your clarifications. You are right, marvelling at how the universe is formed is part and parcel of astronomy. Such discussions are welcomed here. I was rather hard on your post only because it seems to imply that the other alternative theories are plausible... Such theories that some groups are trying to spread is detrimental to the spread of good science, and mis-leading to the un-initiated. Anyway, I am glad that you aren't tring to bring in religious theories into this thead, and thanks again for the clarifications! :)

cheers
cc
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

is ok simei-guy. most people don't know the difference between astronomy and astrology. many don't know what's science and what's not.

generally astronomers don't use words like "concept", "imagine", "believe", etc. but use words like "observed", "calculated", "predicted", "estimated", "theorised", etc.

many will use words like "wonder", "amazing", "marvel", "humbled", etc. since many see themself as albert einstein did - as a "deeply religious unbeliever".