Some Moon pictures to share.

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
harlequin2902

Some Moon pictures to share.

Post by harlequin2902 »

Hi all,

Skies were not too good today, so I stayed in and did some Moon photography through my living room window. Here are a couple of better results that came out :

Regards,
Samuel Ng
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

hi sam,
great pics and lots of details! a VAST improvement over your previous efforts with the pronto...heh heh...I know the diff came mostly from the upgrade to a 6" MN56 but I wonder how much is attributed to change in camera from your canon to the Nikon coolpix 995..

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

I know the diff came mostly from the upgrade to a 6" MN56 but I wonder how much is attributed to change in camera from your canon to the Nikon coolpix 995..
Optics of both scopes are comparable in the range of 1/6 - 1/7 wave, but considering the relatively huge jump in aperture (and with it, resolving power too) from 70mm to 127mm, even though the Nikon 995 is known to be a better camera, I think it made little difference in this case.
Samuel Ng
dew

Post by dew »

hey sam, nice pics.. really sharp. how did you get the focus so spot on?
hope to see more pics!

eu-wen
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

hey sam, nice pics.. really sharp. how did you get the focus so spot on?
hope to see more pics!

eu-wen
Previously, I would focus by setting the camera's focus to infinity and then focus on the scope itself until I got what I felt is a focused image on the LCD. Yesterday, I tried using the scope's focus to get a sharp image on the LCD first, then capture the image using macro mode in the camera.

I will try a different part of the Moon tonight if the weather permits.
Samuel Ng
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

Airconvent wrote:hi sam,
great pics and lots of details! a VAST improvement over your previous efforts with the pronto...heh heh...I know the diff came mostly from the upgrade to a 6" MN56 but I wonder how much is attributed to change in camera from your canon to the Nikon coolpix 995..

rich
hmmm.... tot the MN56 is a 5" scope?

MN56 = Maksutov-Newtonian, 5", f6 ??????
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

blurblock wrote:
Airconvent wrote:hi sam,

rich
hmmm.... tot the MN56 is a 5" scope?

MN56 = Maksutov-Newtonian, 5", f6 ??????
yes blurblock....you're right.. I don't know why I keep on calling his scope " 6" "...all the time... :lol:

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets