Aurora Borealis

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Er. Correction. that's not what i meant. i meant "every night that it is possible to see auroras". I'm not sure if it's possible to see them every night. But these charged particles are released from the sun all the time. It's just that at certain times, the amount of these particles released are more, and you will see them more nicely/clearly.

Pardon my memory for not being able to name these charged particles. I have a flair for forgetting names ^^
hansgalaxy

Post by hansgalaxy »

MooEy wrote:i did see something similar back in tekong, i wonder if it's really an aurora.

~MooEy~
hmm... i think u saw the Milkyway! lol.. can be seen from there. :)
dede

Post by dede »

MooEy wrote:i did see something similar back in tekong, i wonder if it's really an aurora.

~MooEy~
tt one was a massive group of "uh-hum".
annechan

Post by annechan »

Ha, this reminds me of something. In this competition i participated, there was 1 MCQ question about when aurora was seen in Singapore. I remember ticking "never", then the answer turned out to be 1919/1929/1939 or something like that. And I was so sure I got it correct...

Then my senior told me the question was supposed to be like "When was aurora seen FROM Singapore" and not IN.

Still, how can aurora be seen FROM Singapore???
dede

Post by dede »

sounds very wrong. but i hope it's true..

Indeed it's true!!

3rd para
http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/e ... aurora.htm
madsock

Post by madsock »

I went to iceland for my honeymoon earlier this year, hoping to catch this northern lights.

Out of the 6 nights i went there, 4 nights were cloudy, the other 2 nights was really clear, took some photos with my DSLR, but the aurora didn't appear on those 2 nights....

Hope to go back there sometime later and catch the aurora before i die....

here is a link to get your appetite up....

http://www.melitatrips.com/iceland/index.html
zackae

Post by zackae »

Usually the auroras happen when the sun experiences a CME or Coronal Mass ejection( I think its something like that) Where a hudge load of charged particles can flung from the sun out into space at super high speeds. As the charge particles enter our magnetic sphere, they get deflected into the poles, producing the AB.
Ch33Lin

Post by Ch33Lin »

[removed]