Hi all, any ideas for a beginner?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Zephyrus

Hi all, any ideas for a beginner?

Post by Zephyrus »

Hi all, Zane here.

I've been interested to look at some celestial/star objects since young, but I never had the money (I'm from a pretty below average family) to buy any equipment. I enjoyed looking at stars with my naked eyes, but I can hardly see anything unless I focus so hard on them.

I haven't done much research on astronomy, so I really don't know anything about star-gazing. Based on my current financial state (as a 17-year-old student with monthly allowance of only around $150 inclusive of handphone bills and food) I'm really just looking for a tool that is slightly around the $200 mark. I'd probably need to save up for another 2 months or so before I can buy something over $200 for now.

With that tight budget, I'm not in for too advanced stuff since I probably cannot afford any of the professional telescopes. I just want to look at the skies with details. I need the equipment to last for at least 2 years because I don't plan on buying any more expensive equipment in the next 2 years.

I live in the Hougang area (on the 18th floor), near the Buangkok MRT and I intend to just look at the skies around my area because I'm really curious and want to know (and see) more of the skies which I cannot really do (with details) with my naked eye. So, can any kind member recommend me an equipment that is between $200~300 so that I will be able to get it for a better view of the night sky?

Thanks in advance! (:
Last edited by Zephyrus on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Hi!

Instead of settling for a low cost equipment, why not join us for the gathering and view through some of the high-end scopes for 'free'?
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

That's right, welcome zephyrus, it's better you could just spend nothing and still enjoy the skies. You could look out for the public observation sessions in the observations sub-forum.. though we're now mostly in hibernation haha.. I've one coming up by NUS astro society, check it out :)

If you're a beginner, it's really better to come in and learn more before you take the plunge. I took about a year in the forum before buying my first scope ^^
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

well...you can always buy and play with my scope first !:

http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=5008

But otherwise, do drop by the Science Centre astro shop. Their prices have dropped so drastically from $1200 for a 60mm scope o now a few hundred dollars for a 70mm one. They are not the cheapest but expect good after sales support from Albert...

In the meantime, do read up on all the FAQ on this forum to learn more about choosing a scope.
cheers
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

Thank you for all your replies! Tachyon and zong, I'll check out the other forums and see if I have the time to join you guys for the next viewing session. I'm taking my O levels this year, so I'll be pretty busy for the next few months although I know that there's a few events like the eclipses in August coming soon.

Oh and Airconvent, I actually do want to get a cheap equipment around $200 or less that will allow me to view some stars at home, so I'll be considering to buy your scope to play around first because I don't think I'll have any money to buy a proper scope in the meanwhile. But, I read up a few posts last night about people buying a binocular around $300 for viewing stars and I was wondering which is better? Because I want to get something to play around with first, but I don't want to buy something that I'll not use after a while. Instead, I need something durable for at least up to a year so that I can save up more money to buy real equipments in future while being able to enjoy leisure viewing of the night skies right out of my 18th floor apartment.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

I would suggest a pair of binoculars (sorry, Richard!).
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

Yeah Tachyon, I kinda heard that a pair 10x50 binoculars is good for freehand viewing. I'll be doing a lot more research into that so that I can consider getting one myself. Thanks again, all! ^_^
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi
Last I heard from chrris, some nameless brand of bino was selling for below $50 at Carrefour....
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

I'll be deciding between an 8x40 and an 7x50 (or maybe 10x50) binocs. I'll see if I can test them out during the NUS ob session on 5th July before I decide. I'll ask again for advice after the ob session, thanks everyone!
rogermun

Post by rogermun »

Yup, start with a pair of binos. Join the star parties/observations. Start reading and learning your way in the sky first.