Earth Hour Sat 28th Mar 2009

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
hlyf

Earth Hour Sat 28th Mar 2009

Post by hlyf »

Hey all,
Singapore is officially supporting Earth Hour this year, a global campaign to turn out the lights for 1h at 8.30pm on 28th Mar in the call against climate change. From the website it appears that a lot of buildings have committed to switching their lights off for 1h that night, including most of the buildings in the central area. Sounds like a good opportunity to bring out the telescopes (plus it's a new moon night)! Just wondering if anyone is planning anything or would like to plan something for that night?

Hannah
nukescientist

Post by nukescientist »

I think MP Astro is organising something. Don't have details but can go check.
HELiX

Post by HELiX »

Yup, they are. Do check it out. http://astronomy.sg/blog/?p=70
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Earth Hour Sat 28th Mar 2009

Post by VinSnr »

hlyf wrote:Hey all,
Singapore is officially supporting Earth Hour this year, a global campaign to turn out the lights for 1h at 8.30pm on 28th Mar in the call against climate change. From the website it appears that a lot of buildings have committed to switching their lights off for 1h that night, including most of the buildings in the central area. Sounds like a good opportunity to bring out the telescopes (plus it's a new moon night)! Just wondering if anyone is planning anything or would like to plan something for that night?

Hannah
I am not optimistic. I doubt many people will turn off their lights.

Just go out and ask if anyone knows about this Earth Hour, switch off light thing. Out of 10, I doubt you can even find 3 who knows.

Even if they know, I doubt they care. Most Sporeans are just not into such thing. Switch off the lights? Yeah only when they are sleeping.
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

Thanks Helix :)

Yeah I don't think many individuals know about it or would do it, but their approach has been more of getting buildings (hotels, companies, etc) to do it. Cos that would have more impact (visibly as well) in any case, esp in the CBD. I'm actually wondering how significant the lights-out are going to be... Will have to wait and see.
yybmage

Post by yybmage »

Who will go? I think i am goin, perhaps with my Nexstar 4.
Blast off!!!!!!!
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

I hope the drivers will not switch off their headlights while driving!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
questionmak

Post by questionmak »

Unfortunately the LTA isn't participating. So... that means all those bright street lamps will still be on, so please don't go into the city hoping for dark skies.? A bit pointless to be anywhere near the city. But! good news is NParks is so cross your fingers East Coast should be a fair bit darker than usual
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

I'm supporting Earth Hour too! Hahaha. Although like what Mark said, everywhere else in Singapore will be just as bright. I doubt HDB building lights will be switched off too. If it gets dark enough, I may head out to stargaze that night, provided that the weather cooperates. (:
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

Zephyrus if you're heading out to ob ask your friends/neighbours along too :P

Yeah I don't think street lights can go off, too dangerous on the roads.. And I'm not betting on residential areas either.. Anyway I will probably be organising an event on NTU campus (I'm trying to find out from the authorities what lights are actually going off here) :)