Astronomical Event Section

Have some suggestions to improve the site? Let's discuss it here....Might do some tests here as well
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Astronomical Event Section

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I suggest that we should include a Astronomical Event Section in the forum. Anyone that know a certain astronomical event that can be seen in singapore can post it here.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Hi weixing,
You mean as in an astronomical celestial event like Comet Linear's perihelion date for example? Or an observing activity? The latter is already addressed in the Events and Observing Sessions. But if you are referring to the former, it is a good suggestion. Will look into it.
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Yes, I mean the astronomical celestial event like Comet Linear's perihelion date... :)

For example, I only know about the lunar eclipse on 4th of May this early evening as Richard Low mention to me.... I check the Science Centre website on the Astronomical Event list, it was not in the list... I was quite disappointed to see this.

I hope that the forum can provide these type of informations, so that the forum's member or the public who visit SingAstro website can know well ahead of any coming Astronomical Events that can be seen in Singapore.

Thanks and have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Yes, I mean the astronomical celestial event like Comet Linear's perihelion date... :)

For example, I only know about the lunar eclipse on 4th of May this early evening as Richard Low mention to me.... I check the Science Centre website on the Astronomical Event list, it was not in the list... I was quite disappointed to see this.

I hope that the forum can provide these type of informations, so that the forum's member or the public who visit SingAstro website can know well ahead of any coming Astronomical Events that can be seen in Singapore.

Thanks and have a nice day.
Hi Weixing,
I think all such items would already fall under the category of "Events and Observations". What needed to be done is for a sensible subject title such as "2 Comets Visible on XXX". As I have mentioned earlier, creating too many forum headings makes the forum untidy and its tedious to access each and every forum only to see there is only 1 post here and 1 post there...That was how singastro.org started before cc trimmed it down to the current configuration.

cheers
rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think what you mention is also correct. Then I think it may be better if the moderator can make such post as sticky or as Global Announcement so that it will always stay on top of the forum... until the event had past.... Oops... you are the moderator.... that mean more job for you captain(Airconvent)... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

weixing wrote:Hi,
I think what you mention is also correct. Then I think it may be better if the moderator can make such post as sticky or as Global Announcement so that it will always stay on top of the forum... until the event had past.... Oops... you are the moderator.... that mean more job for you captain(Airconvent)... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.
No problem! Anyone who has info for such events can let me know. Excluded I think would be those one-off "tonight session" events, I think, else there would be too many stickies! Perhaps should just stick to 3 types :

1. Comets
2. Conjunction
3. Eclipses
4. XXX-Watch 04 (like Mars Watch)

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets