Hello and opinion on Bino (Grandeye 10x60) for a newbie

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Thanks everyone for your advice! :) Honestly, I was thinking of a 7x power but the 60mm aperture of the 10x60 made me think hard about it.
In you guy's experience, with all the LP around Singapore, does a larger aperture make a difference?
After reading more articles online, I see that collimation in binos is important but also impossible to check without seeing the actual product so I might perish the thought of mail-order binos (unless someone else has advice on this?)
Clifford: I'll try to make it this Sat for the observation and hope to meet up with you. How can I identify you? :)
DON'T PANIC
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

cloud_cover wrote: Clifford: I'll try to make it this Sat for the observation and hope to meet up with you. How can I identify you? :)
Look for the person with a 25x100 bino mounted on a 028 Manfrotto tripod and a green laser pointer mounted on the bino.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

cloud_cover wrote:Thanks everyone for your advice! :) Honestly, I was thinking of a 7x power but the 60mm aperture of the 10x60 made me think hard about it.
In you guy's experience, with all the LP around Singapore, does a larger aperture make a difference?
After reading more articles online, I see that collimation in binos is important but also impossible to check without seeing the actual product so I might perish the thought of mail-order binos (unless someone else has advice on this?)
The aperture does make a big different. If you want a 10x60, a tripod to go with it will be better, your hand can't hold it for long. If you use a tripod, then Grandeye 20x80 is the best value bino. You may want to accompany the 20x80 with a low mag and aperture for general scanning of the sky. However, if you are familiar with the sky, then such low mag / aperture is not required.

Collimation for bino is quite easy if you have the manual telling you where to find the set screws. In mail order eg grandeye, he will protect the product for you since he is also in this hobby and understand all these stuff.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Thanks for the advice! Will see you at the event before deciding. Of course being new to astronomy I can't really find my way around the sky just yet :)
DON'T PANIC