Celestron SkyMaster 15X70 Binocular

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
preeti

Celestron SkyMaster 15X70 Binocular

Post by preeti »

Hi folks,

I am planning to order Celestron SkyMaster 15X70 Binocular from Amazon. But before I do that I just wanted to gather some feedback on this bino. Does any one own one in the forum? Or has anyone had a go at this bino ? Please share your thoughts about it, this will help me to make a better decision :)

Thanks
Preeti
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I have one.

It arrived from the US out of collimation. So when using it I got headaches. So I never got to use it for much.

This is a very entry-level binoculars hence it easily gets misaligned.

I would suggest buy locally so you can check if it gives you headaches when you use it.

Kevin (cloud_cover) was selling a 12x60 Meade I believe for quite cheap.
Gary

Post by Gary »

USD$59 and comes with tripod adapter. I think you can't go wrong with this. For quick views, can handheld. But for extended views you must mount it on a tripod. You are trading magnification for narrower FOV. Check if that is what you prefer.
Last edited by Gary on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Gary

Post by Gary »

@orly. It is possible to re-aligned it back? Are you going to sell yours? :)

-- John Dobson.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Ok. I think I just found the answer to my question. lol.

source: http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-SkyMast ... TMSCRTN0UY

"First pair had bad collimation, 2nd pair is terrific, How to adjust Collimation, August 22, 2011
By
Physics Guy - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Celestron SkyMaster Giant 15x70 Binoculars with Tripod Adapter (Electronics)
The first pair I bought were 25 X 70, and they had bad collimation. They would give you an instant headache to look through them. I sent them back, and ordered the 15 X 70, and this pair is really a great pair of binos! It is a real pleasure to look through the 15X pair, and they are a great value for the money. Very good optics, much brighter views than with the naked eye, very good for surveillance, hunting, astronomy, or anything. I guess the only improvement you could want would be a hard case to protect them from being banged, which could ruin the collimation.

If you get a pair with bad collimation, you can adjust the collimation by lifting the outer corner of the rubber grip on the outside of the prism assembly. By pressing on the rubber, you can find the location of the holes before peeling off the rubber. If you can find the small hole, there is a slotted adjustment screw, which adjusts one axis of the collimation. Only do this to one side, as only one side needs to be adjusted. At 90 degrees away, is the up and down adjust screw, which may also need to be adjusted. Just remember to only turn the screws one turn or less, as they are very sensitive.

I would not adjust a pair if it is under warranty (like the 25X70 I bought), but if it is a flea market pair, you can USUALLY re-align them, and make them just like new again! Some of my best binos were bought used for a couple of bucks, then adjusted to have perfect collimation.

Hope that helps with the frequent double vision issue that these great Celestron binos sometimes have. "

-- John Dobson.
bharat

Re: Celestron SkyMaster 15X70 Binocular

Post by bharat »

Have you checked whether Amazon ships this item to Singapore? I have checked Amazon a few times and most of the times, a message flashes saying that the selected item cannot be shipped to Singapore (due to warranty issues).

There are 3rd party shippers like Vpost but its a bit dicey because you cannot know the shipping cost until the item is delivered to their (Vpost's) US address.

preeti wrote:Hi folks,

I am planning to order Celestron SkyMaster 15X70 Binocular from Amazon. But before I do that I just wanted to gather some feedback on this bino. Does any one own one in the forum? Or has anyone had a go at this bino ? Please share your thoughts about it, this will help me to make a better decision :)

Thanks
Preeti
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

it is cheap (i bought mine years ago for $80) but the shipping to SG is not inconsiderable.

@gary - I left it in Manila. I did try to recollimate it but that is not an easy job. It's not trivial because collimation does not mean the image in both sides is the same.

also the tripod adapter is a flimsy joke. i fixed mine by filling up all the gaps and voids in the (plastic) adapter with JB Weld.
preeti

Post by preeti »

Hi All, thanks for your feedback .. I have finally taken the plunge and ordered 15x70 from Amazon.

@Bharat, Amazon doesn't ship it to SGP, so I am shipping it to a friend's place in US, who i will only get to meet in Oct in India .. so have to wait till Oct ..

Nevettheless its on its way :) Hope to see you guys soon with my bino on some obs'ing event ... :)
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Oct is near enough :)
When I bought the Meade binos, they cost $10 from optcorp but after shipping, it was more than $65, I think so the shipping is not inconsiderable.
Still, if you have multiple items or a higher value item, then its of little issue :)
An alternative is to use comgateway, which is similar but cheaper to vpost
DON'T PANIC
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Preeti. We hope to see you soon with your bino also!

Since you will be in India (which state?), perhaps you can also do some checking of the prices of the astronomical products there and inform us here. And the light pollution/ dark-sky situation there. Have a great bino first light while you are there!

-- John Dobson.