Vixen SXD azimuth adjustment

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
aleetk

Vixen SXD azimuth adjustment

Post by aleetk »

Hi! Just wondering whether anyone here owns a Vixen SXD mount or has experience in using one. On the mount, there are 2 azimuth adjustment knobs. My issue here is that when I loosen these 2 knobs, I find that I have a problem in adjusting the azimuth. It doesn't really seem to move at all. I am also using a half pier which the mount is attached to. If I loosen the knob on the half pier which is used to tighten the mount to the pier, I find that I am able to adjust the azimuth. Is this how it's supposed to work? Pardon me if I asked a stupid question. I'm still a noob.
MooEy

Re: Vixen SXD azimuth adjustment

Post by MooEy »

too tight, new mount? loosen one, tighten one.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

The 2 knobs are merely push screws. To use them you need to first LOOSEN THE MOUNT'S HOLDING BOLT, the bolt that screws your mount to the tripod. This will allow your mount to rotate on the tripod seat.
After that then you can turn the mount in azimuth accordingly, use the 2 push screws to fine adjust then RETIGHTEN THE BOLT.
Now you're good to go :)
*Note: You only need to loosen the bolt a very little bit. Don't overdo it and have the whole mount fall off!
DON'T PANIC
aleetk

Post by aleetk »

cloud_cover wrote:The 2 knobs are merely push screws. To use them you need to first LOOSEN THE MOUNT'S HOLDING BOLT, the bolt that screws your mount to the tripod. This will allow your mount to rotate on the tripod seat.
After that then you can turn the mount in azimuth accordingly, use the 2 push screws to fine adjust then RETIGHTEN THE BOLT.
Now you're good to go :)
*Note: You only need to loosen the bolt a very little bit. Don't overdo it and have the whole mount fall off!
Thanks a lot cloud_cover! :)