Quest for accurate humidity level

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Mech_W
Favourite scope: Celestron Astromaster 130eq, C8

Quest for accurate humidity level

Post by Mech_W »

I'm using a Digi-Cabi, DB-036N, it's set to ideal 43%RH for quite a while, but always wondering at the back of my mind on how accurate is the reading on the panel?? Concern is too low %RH will dry up the rubber on the eyepieces...

Eventually bought one, two and subsequently four hygrometers for testing and using them on sealed boxes; Cheap items bought from qoo10...

Did some internet searching, first ended on doing 'saturated salt solution' test, which should give 75%RH. Thought it was enough to "calibrate" or note down the deviate values since those cheapo hygrometers doesn't come with adjustment dial...

Reading using Sodium Chloride (table salt) - 80%RH

Completing the salt test, all four hygrometers are placed in the Digi-Cabi for finally confirmation. Waited more than 24hrs (to be sure), but was shocked and puzzled to see significant mismatched readings from all fours (deviation values taken into account)...

Conclusion: Cheapo hygrometer are nonlinear across the range...

Back to internet again, this time finally found the more accurate testing method -> Potassium Carbonate solution. Bought it from ebay and shipped from US...

Same as salt solution, Potassium carbonate is used instead...

Quick recap on science:
Salt --- %RH
SODIUM CHLORIDE (Table salt) --- 75.30%
POTASSIUM CARBONATE --- 43.16%

Using PC is best as it gives the ideal level.

Items that I used:
Distilled water or tap water if don't have
Potassium Carbonate
Cap or container
Ziplock bag
hygrometer

ImageImage

Calibration steps:
Step 1: Mixed with water to create a sludge or muddy solution. Slight heat will be generated with PC reacting with water.
Step 2: Put solution and hygrometer in ziplock bag.
Step 3: Wait for 8-24 hrs for humidity to stabilise and note down the reading from hygrometer.

Below are the readings when tested with PC. As you can see, SC is asking -5 whereas PC is showing +1.

Potassium Carbonate mixture

Reading using Potassium Carbonate - 42%RH

100% confident to put my meters to good use in my sealed boxes... Up next - Using PC in my sealed boxes instead of common Silica Gel.

I'm still testing on using PC in my sealed container, which holds my C8.

Day 1 - 53%RH
Day 2 - 50%RH
Day 3 - 46%RH

I still have some amount of PC left, anyone interested to calibrate their hygrometer can pm me to get some. Collection will be at Redhill mrt only...
Gary

Re: Quest for accurate humidity level

Post by Gary »

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing your research!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Mech_W
Favourite scope: Celestron Astromaster 130eq, C8

Post by Mech_W »

Clifford60 wrote:Do be careful when using Potassium Carbonate. See links for more info

http://digitalfire.com/4sight/hazards/c ... y_346.html

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 002481.htm
Thanks for the tip... Will take care when handling it...

Previously only read that it will form strong alkaline solution with mix with water and used as an ingredient for producing soap, glass, grass jelly, fire suppressant... So didn't go beyond to read the hazardous part...