Comparison between Televue 102 and Tak FS 102

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
addy

Comparison between Televue 102 and Tak FS 102

Post by addy »

Hi all,

I am evaluating between TV 102 and Tak FS 102.. Both of them are very good reviews and have almost equal in price (Tak being a coupld hundred more)..

I am looking for a good comparison between the two and am look towards your experience and knowledge in chosing one over the other.. I am more interested in these two though there is 4" AP f/6 OTA going for good price (US1550)

regards
Addy
elton

Post by elton »

Have only looked through the Fs102 but think the difference is at most marginal. The FS is quite a bit cheaper than the TV (US$600 less new) so I would go for the tak in this case. If a 4" AP sells for US$1550, it would have to be a rather old one (10-20 yrs old) else the owner doesn't know the value of his scope or it is damaged in some way. Unless you die die wanna get an APO, for US$1500-1800 you can a nice 6-7" MCT (Intes, Meade etc) or DK cassegrain (Mewlon) which will be just as portable. Planetary performance will be a little better while deep sky will be much better. The 6" MCTs are rated to be equal to 4" APOs and will cost much less (<US$1K). There is no magic in the APO design, it's just that they are the best scope for that aperture .... 4 inches.
addy

Post by addy »

If a 4" AP sells for US$1550, it would have to be a rather old one (10-20 yrs old) else the owner doesn't know the value of his scope or it is damaged in some way.
You are right, It's a used 1987 model, the oil-spaced triplet design. It has been discontinued.. the newer 105mm ED is out of reach anyway.
Unless you die die wanna get an APO, for US$1500-1800 you can a nice 6-7" MCT (Intes, Meade etc) or DK cassegrain (Mewlon) which will be just as portable. Planetary performance will be a little better while deep sky will be much better. The 6" MCTs are rated to be equal to 4" APOs and will cost much less (<US$1K). There is no magic in the APO design, it's just that they are the best scope for that aperture .... 4 inches.
I prefer refractors (good APOI in 3"-4" range with easy setup (maybe gibralter mount). I just missed a TV85 being sold locally (CC got it back from Joe).. After reviewing, I figured out the four best options available are TV Pronto, TV 85, TV 102, Tak FS102.. (heck the price difference between TV85 and Tak FS102 is marginal, with FS102 having 20mm extra aperture).

You suggestion of a MAK is really a good one and I am just taking my time in making up a decision.. Even if I go for a MAK, a 3-4" refractor will be a good compliment to a MAK.

cheers, have a good day..