Ausrex (Zak): Photo Journey

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
ausrex

Ausrex (Zak): Photo Journey

Post by ausrex »

Hello all!

Below are my attempts at dabbling in this mysterious and yet super intriguing hobby! I cannot remember all the details, and when some of these photos where taken, and I welcome all feedback.

In general though:

Planetary/Solar System
The planetary images are done in Singapore, mostly from a field near where I stay, or from my home itself.

Stuff that I used:
- Mostly C6 or WO ZenithStar 66 on 6SE Mount,
- ASI 120MC
- Stacked using Registax 6,
- and very basic processing with Windows Live Photo Gallery

Wide Field / Stars / Fuzzy Stuff
These were done at the Mersing trip in Dec 2014. First peek through the scopes looking at the star field was "WOW!!!"

Stuff that I used:
- Nikon 7100 unmodded with an intervalometer
- 16mm, 50mm or 180mm prime lenses
- Vixen Polarie with Manfrotto 190T with click stop legs
- Stacked using Deep Sky Stacker
- and very basic processing with Windows Live Photo Gallery

However, the most important aspect of this hobby are the people. It's the people who have no qualms about helping or teaching, and who will bother to show a complete newbie what to do, and importantly, what not to do (or buy!).

For this, I have to first thank Rai (Wind) for selling me his ASI, and then following up by teaching me the basics and then introducing the rest of the friends here. Thanks to Jun Wei (Antares), Alvin (Great Red Spot), Ju Sing (Bornfree), Yihan, Ivan and Remus for all chats, the "live" guidance sometimes over the internet, the patience in entertaining my endless questions, and for keeping this hobby alive for me! And thanks to certain people in this group for the poison that once in awhile tests the boundaries of my credit card limit.

When I first started, it all seemed very intimidating. The mounts look like something out of a Transformer's movie, the scopes look like Tomahawks or Howitzers (depending refractor or reflector) and the cameras look like fridges... However, with good advice, I've managed to put together a basic set that I'm happy with and something manageable that I have put to good use time and again. I look forward to continuous learning journey from all the sifus here...

Ok, here goes...

Thanks for looking!!!

Clear skies to all!

Zak
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Re: ausrex (Zak): Photo Journey

Post by antares2063 »

Zak : thanks for introing to us the joo chiat / katong field, an obs site accessible by bus 33 for me..

The Winter Milky way shot during dec trip [smilie=admire2.gif] what a first mersing trip you have experienced with the first day flooding and drizzling !

Regards
Junwei
Last edited by antares2063 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Ausrex (Zak): Photo Journey

Post by Airconvent »

Thanks for sharing Zac. You managed to catch the Horsehead too! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
ivan
Favourite scope: TAK-oyaki

Post by ivan »

Awesome images, Zac! Looking forward to images from your new setup too =) Thanks for sharing!
Just a casual stargazer
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

a very nice collection of imagery and write-up report, Zachary! See you soon!
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits