SingAstroFest 2004 ...... Interested !!!

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Actually we can do wat the U.S. folks do, they did the sidewalk astronomer way. They went to the heartland setup scope for public viewing. They also conduct talks. We can also make astro closer to heart by giving out simple projects to ppls, like a starwheel, sundial, astrolabe, things tat can be made out of paper, thus showing tat it is not an expensive and 'chim' thing. :wink: 8) :lol:
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

fizzy123 wrote:Actually we can do wat the U.S. folks do, they did the sidewalk astronomer way. They went to the heartland setup scope for public viewing. They also conduct talks. We can also make astro closer to heart by giving out simple projects to ppls, like a starwheel, sundial, astrolabe, things tat can be made out of paper, thus showing tat it is not an expensive and 'chim' thing. :wink: 8) :lol:
I think that is a brilliant idea.

Kay Heem
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Hi all,

sorry for the late entrance.
Will be keen in the Fest2004 project. It will be better if we can arrange for a group meetup physically, and should open this meeting not just to the ad-hoc committee but anyone else who are willing to contribute ideas and resources to make this event a success. Takashimaya is expensive (about SGD$13K). An institution would be encouraging. I will try to find a place in NUS and any other location.

rcj
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

:lol: 8) :wink:

So to get started, when ur goin to meet up? Besides holding a talk at a cc or a library would defifnitely draw a huge crowd. :wink: 8)
QuantumGravity

Post by QuantumGravity »

Maybe you guys can also approach schools and see whether you guys can give a talk there, during the assemble sessions or something like that...
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Hi guys,

My sincere apologies for coming in late too. I'll be terribly busy up to early October, so it would have been really irresponsible for me to sign myself into the planning committee ... But if there is anything you guys need from my side or need me to do, just let me know and I'll try my best to help. Do keep me updated on the progress of the discussions too :) I won't be logging in so often now, so I am best reached through my mobile or e-mail, if there's anything.

Thanks.

93621186 / sam@harlequinastronomics.com
Samuel Ng
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

Calling Vincent !
Please contact the ad-hoc committee. We want to start discussion this week.

Ad-hoc Committee:-
1. Kay Heem kayheem@starhub.net.sg
2. Lee Wee Kiong leewk@tpspace.com; 96192273
3. Remus remuscj@yahoo.com; 94884029
4. Robin Low lowrobin@hotmail.com; 64566785
5. Vincent

Anyone knows Vin contacts ?
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

1st Meeting today, Sat, 7/8/2004 at MacDonald Singapore Post, 3.30pm.
All welcome.
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Hi Guys,
just like to contribute a few cents worth of thoughts and ideas.

Location: Most prob can hold it at a library or an institution. B'cos these places are easy to access for the masses and they are the place where most young population is located. :wink: :lol:

Events:

1) Hold talks. The talks should be fun, interesting and easily absorbed. There should be more emphasis on stargazing than the science of astronomy.
1a)The crux of it is to make astronomy close to hearts of everyone n looking up the sky at nite should give one the mystical, curiosity n most important a fun, carefree thing. Dispell the myth that u need a large scope to observe the sky by mosting astro pics taken by Singastro guys with modest equipment rather than HST pics.
1b) To eliminate the image of astronomy as a hobby for nerdy, introvert,rich or people of the higher education echeleon.

2)Hold public observations at convenient locations with lesser light pollution.
2a) These observation should be theme oriented. Like Geminids, Leonids or observe planets. Avoid showing D.S.O that are too dim as they might cause disappointment. Planets are usually brighter and more things to see like cloud band and rings. The planets are also well known by people thus might kindle more interest and good respond.
2b) Be creative. An example I learnt from U.S. sidewalk astro folks through 'Astronomy'. They have things like ' your zodiac', in which they teach folks to identify their horoscope n point to them bright stars in that particular constellation. Example, in Gemini there is Pollux and Castor.
This will make people feel that they hav some sort of special connection with nite sky. They will feel that nite sky is fill with mythology rather than science.
2c) By watching meteor showers with high ZHR. I remebered reading that the 1999 Leonids drew many to Sentosa to observe. I think tis is bcos of the peak 33 yrs cycle of Leonids and most importantly of the then popular Taiwan drama 'meteor garden'. Thus we can draw the same x factor of meteor showers to intro astro.
2d) With can also contribute a list of observing sites. Thus show that astronomy is possible even in light polluted Singapore.

3) Create simple and meaningful projects on astronomy.
3a) We can print simple projects on paper like star wheel, star clock, sundial n astrolabe. These could be given out to the young audience upon entrance to talks as door gifts. The young could make n tinkle with them and eventually use them as simple tools to aid them in star gazing.
3a) Simple activities for the young.

3ai) Primary school-- Observe the five planets they learn in textbooks.
-- Observe major 'mares' on the moon.
-- Observe major constellations.
These handouts should be cartoon filled and not too wordy.

3aii) Secondary school-- Observe planets through binoculars. ( Saturn
as elongated disc, Jupite 4 moons.)
-- Observe bright D.S.O
-- Observe bright meteor showers.
-- Observe moon craters.

I feel that tis this very meaningful as my interest in astro was kindled at 12 by a simple star wheel made by cutting out the projects on the science center magazine instead of the 40mm edu science scope I own then. :idea: :roll: :wink: 8) :lol: :P :P :P :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: