ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
Barry

Re: ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!

Post by Barry »

This week our friend and family electrician spent some good hours in the observatory with me, planning the lighting, powerpoints and distribution board. The cabling has now all been run, ready to connect all the hardware.

As well, this week I got a lovely $50 donation from a Canberra local, which I was able to spend at Fletcher Insulation in Hume on a few bags to insulate from heat and sound. It is instantly cool in there now and OOOHHHHH SOOOO QUIET!!

Full construction page here.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Picked up the wood today for building the staircase from the bottom to the top floor of the observatory. Beautifully seasoned and STRAIGHT cypress.

Can't wait to start working it!

Barry

Post by Barry »

Sorry it's been a while since my last update. Lots of building materials have arrived so it looks like I'm going to be a very busy boy for a few weeks now! Here's what's happening:

Inside fitout begins.

It's been a big week for the observatory this week. I was able to purchase the thin plywood interior wall panelling and even cut some to size and fitted two sheets.

I tested a corner of the cypress slabs I picked up last week by belt-sanding them with some 40 grit to get the saw-marks out of it, then rubbed some raw linseed oil into the test-patch to see the colour. The yellow-gold natural colour takes on a rich red-gold.

I applied by letter to my local government for a large log that one of their services had a stockpile of. To my delight, they approved and happily donated a log.

I found a magnificent pine log, well seasoned with the bark just falling off it. It is my intention to cut it four ways down the length, to cut a post out of the middle of it. The post will be kept aside while the rounded slices will sandwich around the centre pier downstairs, making the pier look like a big tree-trunk. This will then be sanded and rubbed with raw linseed oil, as will the stairs and handrails.

Link to construction page here.

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Between "Iron Man IV" and the "super photon bucket facility", this must have been challenging. Glad to see its progressing, mate!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Barry

Post by Barry »

Thanks mate!

1. Big sanding job! Got one slab of cypress de-barked and sanded down at lunch time. Look at the comparison with the sanded and unsanded slabs!

Debarked and sanded on top and both sides. Ready to make stairs!
2. Image
Barry

Post by Barry »

1. Sanding down the cypress slabs

2. All six sanded ready to build stairs.

3. Eucalypt deadwood handrail.

4. Handrail on tread

5. Wall panels in. Trims, skirts and architraves to go.
Barry

Post by Barry »

1. Cut the hole through the inside and outside walls to fit the tubing for the air conditioner. Cut some steel mesh to size and fitted inside to keep the insects out. Sealed with silicone.

2. Built a small roof over the air-con outlet to stop rain from entering the tube.

3. Air-con fitted into the wall.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Quick update.

I poured a concrete path to lead into the observatory off the main path.

I've been collecting bits of wood on the job at opportune trees we remove or prune. It's taking some time, but I've got some nice bits for handrails and banister. I still need three posts 2.6 metres x 100-150 mm in diameter for the stairs.

Getting there.

Baz.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Finally I have a finished banner and some variants for the observatory's website to give it a fresh new look. My graphic artist has been tirelessly working with me to come up with a concept together then work his magic!

He's given me a fully-rendered banner, watermarks for the new photos out of the telescope and stuff for embroidery, mugs, t-shirts or whatever!

The new banner is on top of my page below. I'm very happy with it!

As I publish the other variants, I'll show them off.

http://www.asignobservatoryii.com/
Barry

Post by Barry »

I've run out of money (looks like for quite a while now) so all I can do is the jobs that cost nothing. Today I sanded down another log for the stair supports then started digging the garden bed. The quality of the dirt is rubbish so I'll have to get rid of it and replace it with some good soil. I also have to dig two trenches in it, one for the drainage pipe near the wall to lay in, plus another on the outside of the bed to run a row of rocks in for the edge.

1. Sanded down log for stair support
2. removed the lawn and weeds to expose the bare clay.
3. Digging in the trench near the slab's edge for the drainage pipe.
4. Starting to lay in the rock edge.