Golf bags used to keep telescopes?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Desmond_T
Favourite scope: Celestron Tavelscope 70

Golf bags used to keep telescopes?

Post by Desmond_T »

Hi guys, I called Astro Scientific Centre to ask about a carry bag or casing for the Astromaster 90AZ telescope. Apparently, they don't carry that sort of product. So I was wondering how to pack the huge scope and bring it outdoors, and there's this lady who told me that I could get a golf bag to store it in. Is that advisable to keep a scope in a golf bag?
Clear skies~
Gary

Re: Golf bags used to keep telescopes?

Post by Gary »

Desmond_T wrote:Hi guys, I called Astro Scientific Centre to ask about a carry bag or casing for the Astromaster 90AZ telescope. Apparently, they don't carry that sort of product. So I was wondering how to pack the huge scope and bring it outdoors, and there's this lady who told me that I could get a golf bag to store it in. Is that advisable to keep a scope in a golf bag?
For transportation, a golf bag should be ok. Especially in this case it is a refractor which doesn't lose collimation during transportation unless you treat it really rough. Bubble/towel wrap it before putting it into a bag if you are concern about scratching the exterior.

For storage to prevent fungus, you will need a long/big container or air-sealed bag. Do take note the length of this telescope is 36 inches. If you intend to get this telescope, I advise you try to find the proper storage first before committing. Bring a measuring tape along and have a sense of how long 36 inches is. The lens cell unit is not removable and you don't have the option to store this smaller unit in a dry cabinet/box.

If you intend to bring this telescope out regularly via public transport, the long tube design may be a hassle.

Having said that, you may still want to go ahead and get this telescope if:

- you have done your homework and conclude that a refractor design is what you want for your first telescope
- you manage to find the storage and transportation container/bags.
- want to stick with a tight budget
- relatively thick-skin and don't mind the occasional stares and looks while transporting your long refractor in public. And sometimes be randomly stopped in MRT stations for security check transporting a long tube-like device.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Avarielle
Favourite scope: 255" Three-mirror anastigmat telescope

Post by Avarielle »

I have an AstroMaster 70EQ and my scope is slightly shorter than yours.

I used to take it out quite a bit - since I do sidewalks and all. What I do is wrap the scope in a blanket, use raffia string to tie it up, and then just hug it and walk around. I've taken the MRT, taken the bus, no one stopped me. Or maybe I just ignored everyone and just went on my way.
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
zymon
Favourite scope: NA

Post by zymon »

Yeah also want to do this. I was looking at those trolly shopping bags with wheels, could put scope and mount in there and tripod over shoulder, but will still need to carry powerpack and all your extras, EP, torch, ipad whatever. Not done this yet though.

Interested to hear what others do?
Avarielle
Favourite scope: 255" Three-mirror anastigmat telescope

Post by Avarielle »

Another thing I do, other than using blankets to wrap my scope and hug it around, is to use a backpacking bag to carry the tripod and mount. I have a 40litre bag and it fits the AstroMaster EQ tripod and mount. I can also fit other things in the bag like my eyepiece box, my iPad, clothes and more.

So far so good. I haven't been stopped by any bus drivers or MRT security. Although I have been stared by quite a few people. But I just ignore them.
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
zymon
Favourite scope: NA

Post by zymon »

I dont think my Nexstar 8SE will fit in a backpack with tripod - shame
Gary

Post by Gary »

zymon wrote:I dont think my Nexstar 8SE will fit in a backpack with tripod - shame
My C8 OTA can fit into a full size backpack, with some room to spare to carry accessories. I can use both/either hands to carry my AZ mount + tripod and take public transport.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.