My New Toy!

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Jonarsh

My New Toy!

Post by Jonarsh »

Hi guys,

I just got the Orion 80ED Triplet CF, and I'm thinking of getting the iOptron Zeq25, what do you all think of that mount? I know its relatively new... but I like the fact that the counter weight shaft can be adjusted for locations like Singapore, do you do not need a pier.

Anyways, here is a picture of the Moon I took 2 days earlier with this new scope through my DSLR...

Cheers!

Gary

Re: My New Toy!

Post by Gary »

Nice looking scope and Moon pic! Thanks for sharing. How's the reduction in chromatic aberration when looking at bright Moon visually?
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Jonarsh

Post by Jonarsh »

Gary wrote:Nice looking scope and Moon pic! Thanks for sharing. How's the reduction in chromatic aberration when looking at bright Moon visually?
Hi Gary,

The reduction is quite good as I can only compare to my previous 5" SCT...but focal length is quite short for planetary viewing....as I have yet to acquire a high power EP...
Jonarsh

Post by Jonarsh »

Mystiq wrote:Congrats on your new toy! And that's a very nice moon pic! =)
Thanks Mystiq! :D
Gary

Post by Gary »

Jonarsh wrote:
Gary wrote:Nice looking scope and Moon pic! Thanks for sharing. How's the reduction in chromatic aberration when looking at bright Moon visually?
Hi Gary,

The reduction is quite good as I can only compare to my previous 5" SCT...but focal length is quite short for planetary viewing....as I have yet to acquire a high power EP...
Thanks for the feedback. Do let us know how much useful magnification you can push in your new toy for Moon and planets.

-- John Dobson.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

Jonarsh wrote:
Hi Gary,

You should grab shirox's Tak 2.8 Hi-LE that he's selling. It performs very well in my 80mm F/6.8 ED and should be a good high power EP for your new toy.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
Jonarsh

Post by Jonarsh »

Mariner wrote:
Jonarsh wrote:
Hi Gary,

You should grab shirox's Tak 2.8 Hi-LE that he's selling. It performs very well in my 80mm F/6.8 ED and should be a good high power EP for your new toy.
Thanks for the tip Mariner! I was looking at Saturn through my 2" 32mm Q70 eyepiece, cannot see any details at all. Have you tried looking at planets through this EP through an 80mm scope?
Gary

Post by Gary »

Jonarsh wrote:I was looking at Saturn through my 2" 32mm Q70 eyepiece, cannot see any details at all. Have you tried looking at planets through this EP through an 80mm scope?
32mm on your scope only gives 15x magnification. Too low to see most of the features on planets. In addition to using a high powered eyepiece, you may try 3x or even 5x barlow with your eyepiece collection if there is no focusing issues. Lunar planetary stuff starts to look really interesting at much higher magnifications (provided the sky condition and aperture supports them).

-- John Dobson.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

Jonarsh wrote:
Mariner wrote: You should grab shirox's Tak 2.8 Hi-LE that he's selling. It performs very well in my 80mm F/6.8 ED and should be a good high power EP for your new toy.
Thanks for the tip Mariner! I was looking at Saturn through my 2" 32mm Q70 eyepiece, cannot see any details at all. Have you tried looking at planets through this EP through an 80mm scope?
I have tried viewing Saturn on my 80mm but there wasn't much details save for the rings visible. You need something bigger and with a longer focal length if you're going down the planetary route. The 80mm is more of a grab and go for leisure cruising large swathes of the night sky.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

I'm not so sure about the Tak 2.8LE. The issue is exit pupil and floaters. At that exit pupil (0.4mm) floaters and irregularities of your cornea will become quite obtrusive.
Have fun with your new scope :)
DON'T PANIC