My New Toy!

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Jonarsh

Re: My New Toy!

Post by Jonarsh »

antares2063 wrote:hi Jonarsh, just to share with u..im using a 80mm refractor too , focal length 500mm, with a 5mm eyepiece i can see the rings no probelm. No motorised mount so i also have to let saturn drift across my FOV and play "catching"

Regards,
Junwei
Hi Junwei,

Thanks for the feedback..looks like I need to get a high powered EP then! :D
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

Jonarsh wrote:
antares2063 wrote:hi Jonarsh, just to share with u..im using a 80mm refractor too , focal length 500mm, with a 5mm eyepiece i can see the rings no probelm. No motorised mount so i also have to let saturn drift across my FOV and play "catching"

Regards,
Junwei
Hi Junwei,

Or a bigger scope.... :twisted:
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
Jonarsh

Post by Jonarsh »

Mariner wrote:
Jonarsh wrote:

Regards,
Junwei
Hi Junwei,

Or a bigger scope.... :twisted:
Er..maybe not now la....haha. When i fully utilize this scope first...need to make my investments justified... :P
Maybe i will consider an SCT again in the future....for more light gathering power
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Jonarsh. Where you stay? Come. Let me poison you as I am slowly doing to antares2063. :twisted:
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Jonarsh

Post by Jonarsh »

Mariner wrote:Jonarsh. Where you stay? Come. Let me poison you as I am slowly doing to antares2063. :twisted:
Hi Mariner,
Im staying at Upper Serangoon...don't mind getting poisoned hahaha....
Jonarsh

Post by Jonarsh »

Hi guys, just realized that there are a 1 or 2 small specs of dust in the front element, i know it doesn't affect image quality, is there a need to remove it? It just bugs me thou...

And any of you have encountered this before? It was there out of the shipment...
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

It wun affect the view much but you can use a lens blower to blow it away.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Jonarsh wrote:Hi guys, just realized that there are a 1 or 2 small specs of dust in the front element, i know it doesn't affect image quality, is there a need to remove it? It just bugs me thou...

And any of you have encountered this before? It was there out of the shipment...
Belated Congrats on your new scope. Are the specks on the inside or outside? If outside you can blow it away using a camera blower as suggested by Mariner. Dust on the inside you should leave alone. it should not affect your views. Just make sure they are not fungus.

As for your 80mm scope, should not be a problem to see Saturn at 160x since you are tracking but the image would not be inspiring as you are pushing at the limit of the rule of thumb for magnification (i.e. max usable magnification is 2 x aperture in mm or 50x aperture in inches)

Cheers :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Jonarsh

Post by Jonarsh »

Airconvent wrote:
Jonarsh wrote:Hi guys, just realized that there are a 1 or 2 small specs of dust in the front element, i know it doesn't affect image quality, is there a need to remove it? It just bugs me thou...

Belated Congrats on your new scope. Are the specs on the inside or outside? If outside you can blow it away using a camera blower as suggested by Mariner. Dust on the inside you should leave alone. it should not affect your views. Just make sure they are not fungus.

As for your 80mm scope, should not be a problem to see Saturn at 160x since you are tracking but the image would not be inspiring as you are pushing at the limit of the rule of thumb for magnification (i.e. max usable magnification is 2 x aperture in mm or 50x aperture in inches)

Cheers :)
Thanks a lot for the info.!! However I realized the dust spec seems to be behind the front element....tried to blow it from the inside out but still the same. Anyways, it doesn't affect my viewing but it just bothers me thou cos I got it brand new...

For the EP, I'm considering getting Shirox Tak 2.8 le...hope to be able to see Saturn and other Planets soon!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

If its dust, its ok. My fear it may be fungus. The appearance would be a spot that seems to grow slowly, sometimes in the shape of a snow flake.
Meanwhile, if its planets you want to see, an MCT or SCT would be more suitable but in astro, we work with what we have and leave the rest to imagination..eg.I imagine I can see aliens on Mars... :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets