Unboxing: Skywatcher 8" F/6 dobsonian GOTO telescope

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
depardeuz
Favourite scope: 60x 80mm Spotting Scope

Unboxing: Skywatcher 8" F/6 dobsonian GOTO telescope

Post by depardeuz »

I was looking for a scope which I can manually guide/turn/swing to the object I want to observe, and then the scope tracks the object electronically. There are also many very portable ones offered by other brands. Somehow, I would come back to the GOTO dobsonians Skywatcher was offering. I finally made this purchase and during monsoon period. So nobody can fully blame me for the cloudy skies or heavy rains [smilie=evil-smile.gif]

The telescope was delivered within a week to my doorstep in 2 x huge boxes.

OTA box & accessories : 910mm x 410mm x470mm (LXBXH)
Dob base box: 720mm x 580mm x 30mm (LXBXH)

As usual, changed out the primary/secondary collimation screws with socket cap screws. Do note the diameters used are different.As of 8 November 2013, the tightening screws are replaced with M5 socket cap screws too. Hence, the dob is officially tool-free collimation now!!! (NB: It would help greatly if you bring along a sample for them to measure the diameter of the screw you need !) I got the cap screws from Fan Sheng (opposite People's Assoc HQ along King George's Ave) and also got a China made trolley for $40/- from a nearby shop.

Bringing the scope from my flat into my car almost took 30mins. I had to separate the OTA and put into the rear sit and secure it with a safety belt. The base proved to be a challenge to go into the car especially with the limited space between my car the the car next to it. Struggled quite a while with the limited space when dob base, trolley and myself are all in the same small space! Almost tripped over my trolley! [smilie=beaten.gif]

You would definitely need some ample space around you when you are loading/unloading the scope from your car.

I was sweating buckets by the time I got everything into the middle row seat of my car! [smilie=bleeding.gif].

I think I would probably try to minimise transporting this scope too far for sidewalks unless very special occasions. My 5" newtonian might be the one travelling further :P

O-rings. Nobody mentioned about them. I nearly lost one of them on the scope's first day out. These o-rings are found at the end stopper of each of the 3 x Flextube extension rods. They seemed to come off rather easily. Each about an inch in diameter. Just be careful not to lose them when transporting the scope.

Took the scope out to Bishan Park. You've guessed it, it was downright cloudy evening. As for the visuals? No stars to look at with the cloudy skies. The scope was trained to a red hazard light on top of a distant building. Tested with Baader Aspheric 36mm, Baader Hyperion 24mm and TV Ethos 13mm. At 2" format, noticed the 13mm TV Ethos required more in-travel. No in-travel issues encountered at 1.25" format for all 3 eyepieces.

Usage at home:

Bought this 6 castor wheel plastic base from hardware shop (supposedly to hold gas cylinders). I have added a sheet of non-slip mat before placing the scope on it. I would use this to shift the scope in and out of the storeroom or to other parts of my flat.

I have fashioned out a draw-string telescope cover using trash bag and rope. And added in the dehumidifier to reduce the humidity in the bag. Stable state reading of the humidity of air in the bag was 64%.

Will continue to stretch the scope when opportunity arises! Thanks for reading! [smilie=embarrassed.gif]
Last edited by depardeuz on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:53 am, edited 18 times in total.
Seize the day!
Gary

Re: Skywatcher 8" F/6 dobsonian GOTO telescope

Post by Gary »

You may be the first "guinea pig" in Singapore for this 8" GOTO Dob. Thanks for the "sacrifice"! :)

Very useful report/thread for those who may be considering getting a dobsonian telescope.

Will share more thoughts when we have more time to test this dob. But some initial first impressions:

- Impressive short waiting time for delivery such a dob.
- Home delivery service provided - good for busy people or those who don't have private transport and mainly use it at home.
- Smooth slewing via controller. Not loud in outdoor environment. At speeds 5 and below, almost completely silent.
- Single speed focuser but smooth and not much play.
- Modified tools-free collimation screws for the secondary is a joy to use.
- Bats and insects never looked so good flying around Bishan Stadium floodlights. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

Yeah..good time seeing the bats and flying insects instead! [smilie=depressed.gif]
Seize the day!
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

was this bought directly from skywatcher?

how much is the $$ for the shipping? [smilie=cute2.gif]
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

Hi VinSnr,

The scope was ordered from Mcgill. Paid only $20/- for shipping.
Seize the day!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Do use something like a rubber car mat to protect the base when you deploy it outdoors :)
DON'T PANIC
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

Hi cloud_cover, I bought 3 x rubber caps for each of the rubber legs so any damage, just replace the caps.. :) Actually, I was thinking of depolying the scope on the trolley... :) Faster to run if rain comes...
Seize the day!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Trolley - don't unless you have brakes on the trolley! As the trolley moves, even a little bit, you will be thrown far off target.
Secondly, if the trolley is movable, you might trip against it in the dark with disastrous consequences for both you and the scope!
DON'T PANIC
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

Hi cloud_cover,

Noted with thanks! [smilie=cute2.gif]
Seize the day!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Photo so small where got shiok. Upsized!

http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.