Binocular

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Johndepro
Favourite scope: Powerseeker 127 EQ / Powerseeker 50 AZ

Binocular

Post by Johndepro »

If I am going to buy a binocular, what should I be looking for for a beginner. John
-_JOHNOOI_-
orly_andico

Re: Binocular

Post by orly_andico »

something optically good but lightweight and durable.

don't go cheap like with those green-lensed ones. but don't go too expensive either.

the Nikon Action Extreme 8x40 or 10x50 are good choices.

Note - Action Extreme - there is also the Nikon Action which is lower-end and of lower quality.

if money is no object there's the Canon 10x42L IS binoculars..
Gary

Post by Gary »

Try to borrow this book and read it: Stargazing with Binoculars
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Johndepro

Post by Johndepro »

orly_andico wrote:something optically good but lightweight and durable.

don't go cheap like with those green-lensed ones. but don't go too expensive either.

the Nikon Action Extreme 8x40 or 10x50 are good choices.

Note - Action Extreme - there is also the Nikon Action which is lower-end and of lower quality.

if money is no object there's the Canon 10x42L IS binoculars..

Alright thanks
-_JOHNOOI_-
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Size of bino : 7 x50 or 10 x 50 binos are good choices, anything with __ x 80 or above are too heavy and cant be handheld steadily. Need tripod to mount them to use comfortably.

Coatings: Some binoculars come with too much reflective coatings (when u look at the front lens and you see yourself reflected back like a mirror) Like orly mentioned those lens look bright red or bright green..

These binos arent really suited for astro/stargazing use as you want as much light to transmit through the glass objectives and into your eyes. Source for those from our local astro dealers will be a better choice.
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Johndepro

Post by Johndepro »

antares2063 wrote:Size of bino : 7 x50 or 10 x 50 binos are good choices, anything with __ x 80 or above are too heavy and cant be handheld steadily. Need tripod to mount them to use comfortably.

Coatings: Some binoculars come with too much reflective coatings (when u look at the front lens and you see yourself reflected back like a mirror) Like orly mentioned those lens look bright red or bright green..

These binos arent really suited for astro/stargazing use as you want as much light to transmit through the glass objectives and into your eyes. Source for those from our local astro dealers will be a better choice.
Thank you
-_JOHNOOI_-
Gary

Post by Gary »

IIRC, you mentioned about upgrading your telescope to see planets in another thread. Do take note you will not be able to see a lot planetary details with small/medium size handheld binoculars.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Go to this website http://www.bigbinoculars.com/faq.htm#4, there are FAQ for binoculars, you can learn more from it

Most important, don't buy "ruby" coated bino, its optic performance is bad, the objective looks reddish and seeing through it, the image is greenish.
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

i am a happy owner of a Vixen Apex Pro 8x42. Sure it is on a pricey side for its size, but the view it provide is good. now i carry it almost everywhere i go. i tried my friend's Celestron upclose 10x50. it is also a very good bino to start with.
Born to be Free
Johndepro

Post by Johndepro »

Gary wrote:IIRC, you mentioned about upgrading your telescope to see planets in another thread. Do take note you will not be able to see a lot planetary details with small/medium size handheld binoculars.

Oh Okay, I don't think I will be upgrading until when I learn more astronomy and mentioned that to go to more events to try different scopes, anyways thank you
-_JOHNOOI_-