"Teabag" for my 8" newtonian OTA

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
depardeuz
Favourite scope: 60x 80mm Spotting Scope

"Teabag" for my 8" newtonian OTA

Post by depardeuz »

Hi, I thought of putting this up for those who are having trouble keeping moisture at bay from their primary mirror of their relatively "too large for Toyogo box" newtonian OTA [smilie=evil-smile.gif]

Borrowing the idea from teabags, threaded sewing thread round the top of the "Hippo" moisture buster for cabinets, not affecting the seal of the packaging and secure it by the tightening cap on the scope cover.

No need to waste money buying dry cabinets/large ziplock bags liao... [smilie=admire.gif]
Seize the day!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: "Teabag" for my 8" newtonian OTA

Post by cloud_cover »

How does it work?
I tried something like that before but the relative humidity didn't really budge much so in the end I had to go with dryboxes
DON'T PANIC
Gary

Post by Gary »

Without a hygrometer to measure the humidity, it is hard to objectively judge the effectiveness of this method. Base on my limited hands-on experience with your dob, the main tube is quite well-sealed and the dust cover fits snugly. So this method may be effective for this particular design/model of dob.

So same experience as cloud_cover for me. Not effective and not a replacement for dry cabinets/box/large ziplock bags for my larger telescopes. The benefit of a truss tube dob is that one may be able to fit the base and upper assembly into 2 separate dry box/cabinet. :)

The chances of the string breaking off is low when properly installed as shown in your pic and description. But the probability, no matter how small, of the whole package accidentally dropping on the precious primary mirror may still be too frightening a scenario for the owner to risk for the sake of controlling humidity in this way. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

Tie the end of the string to something bigger than the cap hole incase it slides free.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

You can get a hygrometer with magnetic attachment from Daiso. Agree with Gary that while this method is good enough for short term storage, it is still no substitute for a dry cabinet/box. That being said, I don't own a Newt so I can't really comment on the alternatives. I am however, eyeing a truss tube Dob (still eyeing ONLY) but storage is always a concern since I have a strong aversion to fungi. I have an expensive lesson in my camera lens.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
depardeuz
Favourite scope: 60x 80mm Spotting Scope

Post by depardeuz »

Wow! Appreciate the replies! Will check out Daiso for the hygrometer. What would be the optimal level of humidity to maintain? Agree that this is definitely not as consistent as a dry cab can perform [smilie=evil-smile.gif]
Seize the day!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Not sure if I have mentioned this before, I used Daiso $2 hygrometers but the accuracy can be way off (poor quality control and manufacturing).

So what I usually do is to bring along my small digital hygrometer along and double check the Daiso units available for sale and only buy those that are relatively accurate (plus minus 2 degrees).
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

Uh oh. Time to double check the units I got.... [smilie=eaten-alive.gif]
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Luckily, mirror coatings are way more fungus-resistant over refractors, SCT correctors and camera lenses..somehow fungus just love Light-transmission coatings but not reflective coatings =)
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

One can check if the hygrometer is accurate by using concentrated salt solution. Just google for the proper procedure.

The solution is too risky to replace the more expensive system.