Equatorial Mount Balancing question

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Equatorial Mount Balancing question

Post by Sivakis »

Hi all

I've read a fair bit about people who say it's better to make it "East-heavy" to prevent gear-backlash.

I'm getting myself confused reading about it..... Can I confirm if the diagram below is correct? That this "East-heavy" practice basically means making the PUSH side heavier? So regardless if the Scope is east or west of the meridian, the Push side should always be slightly heavier?

Will this make the motor work harder if it has to push more?
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Re: Equatorial Mount Balancing question

Post by bornfree »

the pull side.. should be heavier.. and depending whether if the meridian flipped or not..
this vidz gives a very detailed working of the mounts..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQB6UnrTEEM

somewhere @ 26min10sec.. but good to watch the whole thing.. :mryellow:
Born to be Free
Sivakis

Post by Sivakis »

Ahh ok. So the idea is to create a situation where there is always tension against the gears of the motor and mount.

Still trying to wrap my head around why "West-heavy" then won't work but guess I'll try it out and see for myself.

Thanks bornfree! Watched this video before in the past but forgot most of it :P
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

The push side should be heavier.

Basically the part that is on the east side of the pier.

Your periodic error doubles when it's West heavy.
Sivakis

Post by Sivakis »

Ok. So easiest way is whichever is on the East side is heavier, regardless scope or weight. Now I understand better why is called East heavy. Or whichever is the pushing side
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Correct. You see the RA worm cannot be perfectly meshed with the RA ring gear, there is a bit of backlash to prevent binding.

If the system is east-heavy, the RA worm is "pushing" upward and counter-clockwise, thus maintaining contact between the RA worm and ring gears at all times.

If the system is west-heavy, as the RA worm turns, it loses contact with the RA ring gear and the mount "falls" a tiny fraction of a millimeter until it hits the RA worm again. This "falling" results in jumps in the RA tracking speed, worsening the periodic error by approximately a factor of 2 (I have measured it, on 3 different mounts).
ainulfalak93

Post by ainulfalak93 »

really?? i thought east and west have a same weight.[emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33]