Restarting astronomy hobby, need advice

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
vintoh
Favourite scope: Borg

Restarting astronomy hobby, need advice

Post by vintoh »

Hello all!
Has been out for awhile!
I still have my old Borg and Pentax eyepieces.
But one thing that put me at the back foot is my mount.
My old goto cannot start and I am looking for a replacement.

I know there are many experts here and hope to get your advice where is a good place to buy a reasonable goto eq mount!
For a very light 3.5 inch refractor!
Thanks so much!
Vincent
orly_andico

Re: Restarting astronomy hobby, need advice

Post by orly_andico »

what's your old GoTo mount? you might be able to recover some cash from it from someone who is handy with DIY or wants an undriven mount.

I think your best overall bet would be an iOptron ZEQ25, it's light, reasonably-priced, and not too troublesome. You can buy one from Peter Lee in Hong Kong (www.tan14.com) and he ships very reasonably to Singapore. I'm unaware of any local dealers.

You could also see what's for sale here on the forum used. Something like a Vixen GP or GPDX would be a very solid choice, though significantly heavier than the ZEQ25.

Of course there are better (albeit more expensive) choices, but these would be my first approximations. Now if you had an idea of how much money you want to spend, perhaps some better suggestions could be made.
vintoh
Favourite scope: Borg

Re: Restarting astronomy hobby, need advice

Post by vintoh »

Thanks orly, it's a an old Meade!
Thank you for the suggestion.
Will look out for iT