Are there decent alternatives to Pelican cases?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
orly_andico

Are there decent alternatives to Pelican cases?

Post by orly_andico »

Local prices are toe-curling (pretty much double US prices). I understand that's due to the shipping cost (UK pricing is almost the same as SG pricing).

A bigger concern for me is the weight of these cases. I've been arranging my travel mount and tripod the past couple days and figure that only a Pelican 1650 will fit both of these. The 1650 weighs 16 kg empty!!! which is way more than half of airline baggage allowance.

So.. are there cheaper/lighter alternatives? I've heard of this Chinese knockoff called Tsunami, but I don't know where to buy them.
orly_andico

Re: Are there decent alternatives to Pelican cases?

Post by orly_andico »

Nanuk isn't significantly cheaper... I was quoted $380 for the Nanuk 935 by TK-Photo. The (much larger) Pelican 1650 is $491 from Marvid, and the comparably-sized Pelican 1600 is $364 (so actually less than the Nanuk 935).
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Post by Great Red Spot »

I bought my Pelican 1650 from ebay for about $350 including shipping (under the Global Shipping Programme).

And did u mean 16 pounds instead of 16kg? I didn't think mine weighs that much. [smilie=angel2.gif]
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

$350 usd i assume?

i picked up a 1640 locally for $300 sgd and it's massive.. i should have gotten a 1650..