Where to buy sensor-modified Canon DSLR?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
cg_chan84

Where to buy sensor-modified Canon DSLR?

Post by cg_chan84 »

Hi, i'm new here. Interested to do astrophotography.

Wanna ask where to get sensor-modified Canon DSLR for Astrophotography? Online site? Any recommendation? Thanks.
Delpheo
Favourite scope: Orion Starblast 4.5

Re: where to buy sensor-modified canon dslr?

Post by Delpheo »

Hi,

To answer your question, there are some websites that sell brand-new modified DSLRs (search "astro mod DSLR"). If you already have a camera and want to have it modified ie astro conversion, you could ship it overseas to them to have them do it for you. I can't really recommend one because I've never tried ordering from them before. But my guess is that they all seem quite reputable.

If all those seem too costly, there's always the alternative of doing it yourself. I've done it to my Canon 550D; it works but I had to send it to the servicing center afterwards to get the viewfinder cleaned up. Doing it yourself is risky, but there are several websites that give you a step-by-step guide if you're daring enough. Just note that opening up your camera voids the warranty.

Hope this helps :)
elessar

Re: Where to buy sensor-modified Canon DSLR?

Post by elessar »

As Delpheo said, you might have to ship your DSLR overseas to get it done. I haven't tried this, but came across Peter Lee's site (http://www.tan14.com/DSLR%20Mod.htm) that seems to be doing DSLR mods. (It's in Hong Kong). From my experience buying mounts from him some times back, he seems like a reasonable person.
cg_chan84

Re: Where to buy sensor-modified Canon DSLR?

Post by cg_chan84 »

Thanks for the info. From camera hospital site, it seems like they do full spectrum mod which is for infrared photography not for astrophotography. Pls correct me if i'm wrong. I believe both astrophotography and IR photography require different sensor filter modification.