Celestron C114-Hd

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

isn't the sky watcher a lil down in quality compared to the C114-HD?

Regards,
AQ85
If you are comparing the currently available Skywatcher 114mm vs the older Celestron 114mm HD, true, the Celestron one may be a little better, but for all current 114mm models from Celestron, they are made in China too and you are paying more because of the Celestron brand name and this makes the Skywatcher versions 'seem' to be poorer in quality. Anyway, regarding the 80mm Refractor you enquired about, I've just sent you a PM. Take a look at my offer to you.
Samuel Ng
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

aquacocoa85 wrote:Ermm... the price is a lil steep for me. I have a tight budget of 1k and most of the Short wide field refractors are above that and often in the 1.3k range. Do u know of any 80-90mm refractors for the price range and can achieve a common quality of view?

Regards,
Aq85
Actually I would prefer you get a 80-90mm from Samuel and use a simple mount instead of a eq mount. It's much easier for a newbie and if you lose interest in astro later, a alt-azi mount can still be use for daytime observation.

I wouldn't say that the quality is not as good as the 114, except that the 114 does not have chromatic abberation. Of course, don't expect 200x with the 80mm refractor, and I doubt the 114 can carry to such mag. too.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

If you are comparing the currently available Skywatcher 114mm vs the older Celestron 114mm HD, true, the Celestron one may be a little better, but for all current 114mm models from Celestron, they are made in China too and you are paying more because of the Celestron brand name and this makes the Skywatcher versions 'seem' to be poorer in quality. Anyway, regarding the 80mm Refractor you enquired about, I've just sent you a PM. Take a look at my offer to you.
yes, the current 114 is from China, but the older 114 is actually from Japan. It's written on the tube. So if anyone buying an older 114, best to ask first because it could be either from China or Japan.

About 17 years ago, I got a chance to use a Celestron 40mm from Japan. You won't believe the optics of this small scope. It's simply incredible. Later I got a Celestron 60mm made in China. Not bad, but nothing compare to the earlier Japan made 40mm.
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

firstly, hey iceangel.. i'm beginner too so i'm in ur beginner range and don't be offended ya? Always welcome to share!

Secondly, if I believe the Celestron belongs to a 2000-2001 era so I'm not too sure abt its manufacturered location but will check it out. If i had to choose btw a megrez 80 and celestron, which would u guys prefer? given price is the same?

THanks,
Aq85
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

The megrez isn't an APO right? or semi Apo right? will the colour Abrreviation be severe to hamper viewing at higher magnification? so much so that the C114-HD will be better??

And is collimating so tough? I hear tons of stories from ppl saying its pretty easy to ppl saying they sold their reflector coz they couldn't collimate it properly. Is it a breeze or nightmare?

Cheers!
Aq85
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

And is collimating so tough? I hear tons of stories from ppl saying its pretty easy to ppl saying they sold their reflector coz they couldn't collimate it properly. Is it a breeze or nightmare?
Collimating is actually quite easy, -once- you have a little practice. So don't be put off from reflectors because of collimation horror stories :)
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

are those laser collimator worthwhile to get if i do get a reflector and how much would those cost? worthwhile investment for better viewing pleasure?

AQ85
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

aquacocoa85 wrote:The megrez isn't an APO right? or semi Apo right? will the colour Abrreviation be severe to hamper viewing at higher magnification? so much so that the C114-HD will be better??

Cheers!
Aq85

2. Collimation is not really tough, just that when you first start out, it may seem to be. But once you get the hang of the correct technique, it's a breeze 8) Investing in a single beam laser collimator will not increase your viewing pleasure :D but it will make the collimation process a little easier to carry out and more convenient for you.
Samuel Ng
Area503

Post by Area503 »

WO WO WO.....
I'm using the very same model u'r asking now, maybe i can shed some light.
First, portabilty 0 out of 5.... the 5 inch tude is ok...(4.5 inch mirror)
but the nearly 1 meter length is a bit overkill liao.... a catadioptic will be much easy to carry around.
Second, quality for price 5 out of 5.
very cool.... can see 3D clusters. Especially the jewel box cluster.
mag 230 very nice view... hehe. can see distinct bands of jupiter and mars looks moderate at 230 mag.(think got see sand storm)
Thirdly, mount 3 out of 5.
they provide 2 weights. but a bit too big la.... kind of funny, in terms of appearance they fit nicely, but the irony is the weight of the scope is
<< lighter then the mount. actually the light weight is more then enough to balance it. personally, transporting the scope is fine (fit perfectly in my big bag..) but the mount is like 10X the weight of the tude. the mount is VERY heavy.... but the heavy weight == stabilty... Must say mount is Very simple to use la...
Every time i look into the sky, i wonder,
who's eyes am i looking at, staring back at me.
Whose eyes sees a different world, one which i could only imagine.
Whose sky may be blue, red or green, one which his air determines.
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

For me any telescope can be a beginner telescope. As long as ya are comfortable in using the scope it should be ok. Price is not an issue, how long the scope will last is an issue. Whats the use of buying a 4.5" when 1 year later ya find its small? Resale value for such scopes will not be high also.

BTW, what is overkill?
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers