How Do You Store Your Scopes?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
kayheem

How Do You Store Your Scopes?

Post by kayheem »

Hi all,

Now that the rainy season is around the corner, I was just wondering how you guys store your scopes in a dry place to prevent fungus. The SCTs and the MCTs have it easy due to their small size, but what about the refractors and reflectors?

I have previously used the larger Toyogo storage boxes and put in a heating rod to keep it dry. Now I have a custom case / cabinet and the heating rod is not big enough. I am trying to bring some in to sell at a good price to other Singastro users. Any takers? The URL is:

http://www.moistureking.com/

The prices are in US$. I will need some rough indication as to the numbers to bring in. The US prices should be a good guide.

Kay Heem
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Kay Heem,
Unless you own those humongous Taks, TVs, WOs or Vixens, I think it is not difficult to find a dry box for it. The 80mm shorttubes would fit as would all the SCTs and MCTs, even the 8" models. There are even ones that are full height but of course, you even posting this question here means your budget is somewhat smaller than Finance Minister DPM Lee's ... :-)
But come to think of it, I've never owned a refractor that expensive that needed me to waste grey cells worrying how to store it....mine seats in the boot all the time ready for action..!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
May be you can try the method use by the army: hot cabinet. Put a light blub (and electricity of course... hee hee) in your cabinet to warm up your cabinet.... :) Low cost, but I wonder is it effective... :P
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

weixing wrote:Hi,
May be you can try the method use by the army: hot cabinet. Put a light blub (and electricity of course... hee hee) in your cabinet to warm up your cabinet.... :) Low cost, but I wonder is it effective... :P
What wattage do you use?

Kay Heem
yingtian

Post by yingtian »

i use a thick transparent plastic bag, fits my vixen 80mm just nice, throw in some silica gel in a film canister with some 'holes' and roll it up. using wires to secure it, finally green plastic handles that hooks onto the wires for easy carrying.