Picture of big,big sunspot

Here is the place for the admins or moderators to do their annoucements. Or, if you have bought a new scope and want the whole world to know, do it here. Basically this is the place for any astro first-hand news.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

ahh..so that is what remus is up to these days...looking at the sun instead...what an interesting way to tide over the cloudy skies these days!

nice pic. care to share how you did this?
as a kid, I was told either to use a piece of car board, make a tiny hole and see the projection on the floor or to make a pin hole camera...

S&T actually features a shop that sells a contraption that looks like a foldable sun deck chair but is in fact a sun projection system.

Back to your pic, notice the lack of sunspots (most solar pics would be littered with them). That's because they increase and decrease in 11 year cycles and currently, it is well on the decline phase...

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Terry

Post by Terry »

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

antares2063 wrote:Hi Richard!
I just used solar projection using a normal 20 mm plossl, projected the image up at the ceiling, turned the focuser to focus it, and thats it.( I was observing inside my house not outside...heh)
Junwei
Hi Mate,
I'm not too sure what you mean by Solar projection on the ceiling...I thought it would be on the floor? Can you elaborate?
Enjoy your stay down under....and give my regards to Kylie....

:lol:

rich
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

antares2063 wrote:Oh! my projection is towards the ceiling cos I turned my OTA in such a way that the eyepiece is pointing upwards. Basically the projection will be wherever the eyepiece is pointing to.
Junwei
oh...you mean you point your OTA towards the sun and capture the image through the eyepiece's projection on the ceiling? Do you use any protection?
Else I think the direct sunlight will damage your Newts' mirror coating?
cheers

rich
elton

Post by elton »

careful when using a plossl. the plossl design has cemented elements like most other designs and can be damaged at high heat. The best for projection are the cheap 3 element huygiens which have no cemented elements. Mostly we quickly upgrade and dump these "junk" eyepieces .. now they come in useful.
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Hi all, currently at RP with Sam from SP to help out RP with their signup booth. Just did a solar observation, and took some pictures, here they are.

Enjoy!
Charlie