barlows: TV powermate vs other barlows?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

So Eu-wen, what premium eyepieces have you shortlisted so far ? Let's talk Eyepieces 8) !
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Do what the blokes in US do!

Have a spare of everything Televue and get a PREMIUM binoviewer!

Envious,
Charlie
dew

Post by dew »

yeah sam! i was wanting to move this tread on to eyepiece talk.. haha
anyway i was thinking of type 6 naglers, the short focal length ones. their huge AFOV is very appealing.. the pinholes on my higher power plossels are so irritating.. but then of course the cost is just unbelieveble.. S$500?!? crazy man..

i would like to consider cheaper alternatives, but i dont know much about other brands.. i read alot of references to vixen lanthium eps? what are those like?

eu-wen
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

yeah sam! i was wanting to move this tread on to eyepiece talk.. haha
anyway i was thinking of type 6 naglers, the short focal length ones. their huge AFOV is very appealing.. the pinholes on my higher power plossels are so irritating.. but then of course the cost is just unbelieveble.. S$500?!? crazy man..

i would like to consider cheaper alternatives, but i dont know much about other brands.. i read alot of references to vixen lanthium eps? what are those like?

eu-wen
I've got one of those. Not a bad eyepiece, but the main feature (other than the use of exotic glass) is the 20mm long eye relief and that is pretty good for eyeglass wearers and allows very comfortable viewing with the tall rubber eye cup. But if you're really talking about "premium", then you should be looking at something like the new Pentax XW series :lol:
But I would think that the lanthanum series are still more mid range (Premier League ?) rather than premium (Champions League ?).

What do you see yourself using your premium eyepiece for (high power work, wide field work etc...) ?
dew

Post by dew »

haha, sorry i think my use of the word "premium" was incorrect then.. naglers already blew me away as to how much an ep could cost.. exactly how much are the XW's? and what makes them so great?
right now i'm just looking for high power but with greater FOV for planetary and a medium-high power but with large FOV for lunar.. yup.

eu-wen
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

haha, sorry i think my use of the word "premium" was incorrect then.. naglers already blew me away as to how much an ep could cost.. exactly how much are the XW's? and what makes them so great?
right now i'm just looking for high power but with greater FOV for planetary and a medium-high power but with large FOV for lunar.. yup.

eu-wen
I should leave the StarMatrix crew to brief you on the technical details of their new Pentax XW :lol: . They are another "grenade" class of eyepieces and are slightly more expensive than the Type 6 Naglers.

High power + greater field of view for Planetary -> Radians are not bad for this. I have a 4mm which you may try out the next time we meet.

Medium high power + greater field of view for Lunar -> You can consider our Antares Speers-Waler WA (82 deg). I have everything here, so you can come over to get a personal feel of each one. For your scope, I think the 10mm will be ideal for ultra wide angle views of the Moon. It will give about 150x magnification for you on your scope, and with a vast 82 degree apparent field of view. You'll find yourself moving your head around a little as you look into the eyepiece to explore the lunar surface - mainly due to the panoramic AFOV.

:lol:
Last edited by harlequin2902 on Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

For those who are looking to blow their bonuses on a really rare, world class and exotic Barlow Lens, check this out ! :lol:

http://www.astromart.com/viewad.asp?cid=220450
Samuel Ng
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

And if you're having second thoughts about the TV 2x Barlow :

http://www.astromart.com/viewad.asp?cid=220335
Samuel Ng
dew

Post by dew »

actually i was looking at some ads in s&t and the difference in price betwwen a TV powermate and TV barlow was like US$8 only.. hmmm..
anyway i was pretty interested in your wide angle antares eyepieces.. any report on it yet?

eu-wen
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

:lol: It's not really "ethical" for me to post direct reports on it here since I am the Antares rep.

But 'someone' here has recently bought it from me, so maybe you may hear from him instead in the future :lol:

Or why not come over this weekend and experience them yourself ? Since they are available here for viewing, there's hardly anything that can beat your own personal judgement and evaluation of it since you'll be the one using it in the end. Come try and see if you're comfortable with it.
Samuel Ng