I'm just a beginner and i have a low budget

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
EdNet

I'm just a beginner and i have a low budget

Post by EdNet »

Hi everyone..
I have some help needed.. I am a beginner in astrophotography, a total newbie.. but have had an interest in it long ago.. I nv tot i would decide to get a telescope .. but now i really wan to have a telescope of my own.. but there's one thing.. telescopes are expensive.. but i have a low budget of like 100 bucks .. wat can i get as a beginner ? and where do i get it ??

Hope for ASAP replies
THANKS !!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

based on your budget, you should get yourself a bino. 7x50 or 10x50.
this should be able to give you some great wide views especially M42 and M45 . (do NOT even think of buying the Toys-R-Us or Carrefour $49 scopes as they are the fastest way to kill your interest!)

The bino allows you to learn more about the constellations and where all the cool objects are ( a trip to the library to borrow a star chart would not hurt).
after a year or two , when you have saved enough, $500 would be able to get you a decent second hand scope. check out www.mcgill.com and www.astrobargain.com for their beginner packages also.

BUT , before you buy, its appropriate that you join in one of the astro sessions conducted by weixing in tampines and have an idea what you need and what type of scope suits you.

where are you from? you can check if your school has an astro club...they can help too.

cheers and welcome to singastro!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Sorry buddy, but for a $100, are you even sure you can get a good camera lens for astrophotography?

If you are interested in just taking pictures of constellations, then an ordinary camera and photo tripod will be enough, but for any kind of astrophotography through a telescope, the investment is rather substantial.

I suggest that you need to do some slow research on your own first, and do some observing before before launching into astrophotography. It'll be much more rewarding that way. :)

Cheers,
Chris
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

As Airconvent say a bino. Actually that is a gd start. Use a bino, borrow some astronomy books and start knowing the sky 1st b4 commiting to a scope. Cos it dun come cheap. Last time b4 i know the sky, i go buy a scope le.. till now so many years le.. 5+ years.. i'm still a newbie.. beside the moon + orion neb + super bright planets. I can't find other things le. I think the best thing to do now is to get active with the singastro group. They got observation, do join them. U will surely learn alot and they are friendly people. There are lots of diff kind of scope to look into.. reflector, refractor .. sct.. mct.. =x till now so many years.. buy 2 scope liao.. still dun know wat i want.. cos u can't have best of the world when it comes to money and portable scope.. When u know more about astronomy, u will surely willing to save for a gd 1.. that will last u.. that will keep ur astro passion ever growing =)
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
Aryanto

Post by Aryanto »

Use that money to buy a pretty good camera, then beg other people to take picture using their scope. :)

BTW check the buy & sell.
Hint WTS = "wish to sell" or "would like to sell".

What currency is that $100? If it is Euro, I think you can get some small scope. Or pretty good Binos.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Aryanto wrote:Hint WTS = "wish to sell" or "would like to sell".
And I always thought WTS means "want to sell"! I learnt something today...

Cheers!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Aryanto

Post by Aryanto »

hehehe. Want also can lah. :wink:
Somehow I think it is an asian influence huh. Want to Sell?
If you want, why you sell????

English is soooo confusing. I wish people speak math. :)
klutz

Post by klutz »

Hi Airconvent,
I am a newbie in Astro, a total astro-dummy who is rather IT unsavvy. It took me quite a while to at last find this website with so many astro-enthu in Singapore. I am so astro-dummy that I can only recognise the sun and the moon (plus of course, my parents & friends). I love the night sky and dark clouds. I love to stare at the twinkling stars and the moon. I've been doing that for years, wondering how they look like and what their names are etc. But beside being IT unsavvy and an astro-dummy, I am also unfortunately a "scientifically unfit" direction-idiot. I had problem understanding "scientific" English/term. I am not very educated, my England is not powderful enough... I was so fed up with the book (but mostly at myself) that I almost wanted to eat it out of desperation, thinking it may help. But my Irritable Bowel Syndrome saved its life... (*_*)

I read from your above msg that Weixing conduct some astro session in Tampines? I lived there too. Can I attend his session? Will he be able to tell me more on Astronomy, about the scopes that I can buy etc? How do I contact him? Help me, or I'll really have to swallow some books...

Best regards,
Klutz
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Klutz
Astronomy is not something you can learn immediately but ironically. you can be an astronomer almost anytime.. Just look up on a cloudless night and if you are fascinated by what you see, you are on your way..
Before you begin, I suggest you do some reading starting with the FAQ on this forum. Next, pop by the library and borrow some beginner books. Those will tell you what's up there and what you can see....
Yes, weixing does conduct sessions in tampines if the sky is clear...watch for his announcements in the observation forum...
its been quite quiet as far as sessions are concerned due to the generally poor skies...let's keep praying for good skies so that all the astro "worms" can come out of the woodwork!

lastly, welcome to singastro!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I read from your above msg that Weixing conduct some astro session in Tampines? I lived there too. Can I attend his session? Will he be able to tell me more on Astronomy, about the scopes that I can buy etc? How do I contact him? Help me, or I'll really have to swallow some books...
Yes... when the sky is more "steady", I'll resume the session in Tampines... basically at the field beside Tampines Sport Hall, the Mosque and the Swimming Pool.

Also, relax a bit la... astronomy should be a hobby let you just sit relax and look at the stars. To start, I'll recommend you to go to the library and borrow an astronomy book that teach you constellation, such as the Star and Planets. Just read through the basic... don't understand never mind... you'll pick it up as you go.

Anyway, when the sky is clear, you bring the book to an open area at around 9pm and you find the constellation, Orion, in the book. Look at the three stars that form the straight line... the Orion Belt in the book and look straight up overhead and you'll see that same three stars in the sky... and you find your first constellation! :D :D :D Also, try to look out for the M42/M43 beside the three stars and you'll find your first deep sky object!! :D :D :D

Also, by using the book, see how many constellation can you find... just try it and you may surprise yourself.

By the way, even now, I only know a few constellations well... too lazy and memory not very good :P :P, so don't worry... hee hee :) :) :) Just relax and enjoy the stars.... :D :D :D

Have a nice day.

PS: As you can see, my english is also not that "powerful"... :P
Last edited by weixing on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: