Bino

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
jermng

Post by jermng »

Weixing, police come you never tell them you know me ah? HAHA ...

Klutz, you can check out my Binos of course, but if 10x50s break your arm, you'll know how a 20x80 really needs a tripod+mount. :)

After I showed my girlfriend my 20x80 on a mount, she now insists on having a mount for herself when she uses my 12x50 (the one that WX doesn't see 2 stars). Now I've gotta bring 2 tripods and mount everytime I go ob with her!! hee hee
(On a side note, she hogs my Scope now that I installed an Intelliscope)

So you see how much better a mount is for observing. :) And if you've got a gf, dun be too anxious to get her interested in Astronomy at first ... or you'll end up like me ... Only in-charge of setting up and packing ... HAHAHA ...

If you want, you can try someone's 8x42 for less shake and the same exit pupil .... It doesn't seem popular in Spore though, so I don't know who has one. It's the next bino I'll be interested in so I'm looking to try one too.... :) For now, you can also try my 7x35s for the same exit pupil and MUCH less shake, but at the loss of aperture, which can get significant especially after you've used a 20x80.

In the end, just have fun with the 10x50s you have now .... remember, it's more important to enjoy the sky than to get a ton of gear ... although the gear does bring a certain satisfaction and joy that it gets addictive too ... :)

Clear Skies!
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

I am wondering if you are seeing 2 images because you did not adjust the centre column of the binoculars. The correct way of seeing a binoculars is to see a Circle. This can be done by adjusting the sides (folding in or folding out) so that a circle is seen. Seeing two circles is wrong. Also, perhaps you did not really adjust the focus well. For individual focus binocs (the left and right eyepiece can be adjusted), you have to cover the right lens and adjust the left eyepiece(the optical component that you put ur eye at), to adjust the right eyepiece focus, cover the left lens of the binoc and adjust accordingly until u see a sharp image. After that, fold the binoc in or out until you see a circle field. The images should be sharp.

For centre focusing binocs it is mostly the same just that you cover the left lens assuming that the eyepiece on the right is adjustable. Adjust that until you see a sharp image on your right (or whatever side that can be adjusted). After adjusting that eyepiece, cover the right lens and use your left eye. Adjust the centre focus until your left eye is clear. Lastly, adjust the binoc until you see a circle (that is when the image merges). Actually, these steps can be neglected if both of your eyes have the same degree (that is after being corrected with spectacles or if your eye has the same power). If it is like that, the eyepiece adjustment should be set at 0 diopter, and all you need is just to adjust the centre focus with both eyes looking thru the eyepieces until it is sharp.

Another reason why there is 2 images could be also due to other optical defects in the eye. For me, if I take out my spectacles and look through a 7x50 binocs I will not be able to focus a star (seeing a tail on the star) even how I adjust it; even with my spectacles I still cannot focus it as my spectacles is undercorrected for astigmatism and it works only up till exit pupil of 4mm. The reason is due to astigmatism and it becomes worse when the exit pupil is large and 7x50 binocs have exit pupil of 7mm. Hence, if you like to use binoculars without spectacles, it is very essential that your astigmatism is low (about 50 or less) since the exit pupil of binoculars tend to be large.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
This can be done by adjusting the sides (folding in or folding out) so that a circle is seen.
Yes, that's the problem... On most bino, I can't really get a full circle even I fold the bino all the way... you'll see the two circle start to move closer and that's it... You can't fold anymore... :( :(

May be my brain is not train to fuse the two image of bino together and got low tolerance for optical misalignment.. :( :( May be I should get a bino to train my brain... ha ha ha :P :P

Anyway, thinking of getting a bino again for birding and use as a grap and go scope... :)

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Aryanto

Post by Aryanto »

jermng wrote: Anyway, we seem to have jumped at least 3 different topics .... Bino to big APO to DeathStar and star wars to desserts to east and west obbing groups ..... and Airconvent hasn't said anything .... something's amiss!! Airconvent!! Where are you?? Are you ok??? :) hee hee ...
Sorry.. the deathstar thing started by me. :wink:
Aryanto

Post by Aryanto »

Er.. related to this bino, I am still very noob heere. :lol:

Is there a way to mount bino with telescope, so that it become finder scope?
I just have this funny feeling that this can be very useful since bino have larger field of view ( right... right..? no? :oops: ) than telescope, so easier to find roughly where the object is and then you can see more with telescope.
Aryanto

Post by Aryanto »

klutz wrote:So unfair!! Why did the ppl complain at all?!?!
They are afraid you aim the scope at their window while...

Anyway, will it be even more funny if you find out that they are obbing using telescope you from their home?

And.. um... will it be any good if we use black t-shirt with sign: "Mediacorp News Crew" or something like "Singapore Meteriological Service - Weather Research Department"). hahaha.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
It can be mount, but I think only practical if your bino is a right-angle version... If you think a straight-through finder is difficult to use, a "two-eye" straight-through finder will be a nightmare!! :( :(

Also, most right-angle bino are giant bino, so it will not be practical to mount on telescope.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
jermng

Post by jermng »

You can mount it on your scope with a camera adapter ... but like WX said ... it's gonna be weird .. you gotta do a YOGA warmup before you start obbing ... :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
klutz

Post by klutz »

Another reason why there is 2 images could be also due to other optical defects in the eye. For me, if I take out my spectacles and look through a 7x50 binocs I will not be able to focus a star (seeing a tail on the star) even how I adjust it; even with my spectacles I still cannot focus it as my spectacles is undercorrected for astigmatism and it works only up till exit pupil of 4mm. The reason is due to astigmatism and it becomes worse when the exit pupil is large and 7x50 binocs have exit pupil of 7mm. Hence, if you like to use binoculars without spectacles, it is very essential that your astigmatism is low (about 50 or less) since the exit pupil of binoculars tend to be large.
Junwei did supervise and teach me how to adjust and align the centre & right column. I do see a merged circle. My 2 moons, 2 stars, 2 lamp posts etc, are within the same image, not separated. I do not have this problem when I view near and big objects. I see blurred or stars with tails too. Perhaps it's due to my astigmatism. It's approx. 150 degree for each of my eye. I wore contact lenses when I obb, becos I totally can't see with glasses on (it keeps hindering my view). My contact lenses do not have astigma correction. Will more "training" on the bino help?
They are afraid you aim the scope at their window while...
They should be able to tell when one is aiming at the sky or at their windows ba.... :!: :?: :!:

PS: Weixing!! If you have session again this Sat, I'll bring along JW's 10x50. Do let me know earlier, else I may not be in Tampines.
klutz

Post by klutz »

Anyway, thinking of getting a bino again for birding and use as a grap and go scope...
Can go Ubin or Sungei Buloh for birding someday... :D
You know dat children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers...