Mount Building

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
jermng

Mount Building

Post by jermng »

Just read in another post that Chris built his own mount. :) Was talking to another SingAstro-er at his place the other day and he also uses his own home-built mount. If I remember correctly, I was also reading a post some time ago about someone using PVC pipes to put together a mount.

Seems like mount building is getting popular. Does anyone have any tips to share, plans to show or links to point to for amateur home mount building?

I'm thinking of building a mount for my C8 .... setting up the GEM in this unpredictable weather is getting frustrating .. :)

Appreciate any help!! :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
rlow

Post by rlow »

Jeremy, I think what you need for a quick grab-and-go setup is something like the Astroslew mount, which is fast to setup and smooth in operation, even without counterweight. Personally I don't think it is worthwhile to copy and build one like that. If you ask a workshop to fabricate one, it will probably cost more anyway. Just my two cents worth.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Yes I agree with Richard. The astroslew would be useful for your scope. DIY is more for the fun and experience, cost wise it probably will cost more and also the commercial products tend to be better as it has gone through much R&D. My DIY dew heater is cheaper and works ok (no dew at all on my C5 the whole night in Mersing and at a very low temperature setting) than the commercial one if I do not include my expensive but good Fluke Multimeter; at least I can use my multimeter for testing batteries and things. haa.
denebman

Post by denebman »

Just for your information.

The fact here is like if you do not have your own workshop, the total cost of designing, buying raw materials and asking a local contractor to realize your design is very high unless you invest a fortune to make few hundred pieces in one batch. Taking my astroslew as an example, if made locally in small batch, the production cost alone will approach SGD 1K each.
10" Telekit with Zambuto optics~TMB 152/1200 (construction)~Takashi Mewlon 210~TMB 80/600
jermng

Post by jermng »

HAHA guys, I think you got me wrong. :) The whole point of building a mount here is not to save money .... it's just for the fun and experience of builing. That's it. It may not work as well or as smoothly as the AstroSlew or PortaMount or DiscMount or Microstar or whatever other commercial mount is available but I just thought it would be good to build it just for fun.

Anyway, I do have intentions to go for the AstroSlew but it's so hot now and seems to be out of stock most of the time (that's a compliment ... :) ). THe last time I hesitated during CNY, the next thing I knew, have to wait for the next batch .. hee hee ... LiuMing, you're making a great mount! :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
rlow

Post by rlow »

I heard the next batch of the improved Astroslew will be in Singapore very soon. I will be very keen to see that!
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Anything from Liuming has to be GOOD!! 8-)
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
river

Post by river »

If can affort Yes, better buy a good mount like astroslew. But for school club, (when fund is limited) better to have a student project to build something. More things you do, more attention and more fund you get.
With more people and fund then you talk about upgrading.

Just my personal non-commercial view on DIY mount for non-exibition oriented, non-individual usage.