New scope for a newbie... was [Hi everybody!!!]

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
ursaMinor

New scope for a newbie... was [Hi everybody!!!]

Post by ursaMinor »

Hi everybody,

I have joined for a few weeks or so but I haven't introduce myself. I am Larry and I plans to get my very first telescope and may all those who are very experienced give some advice pls~ :) I have done some research on telescope type ah, but some expert's advice would still be a great help. My budget is about...........maybe 800? below 1000 I must say.
I seen quite some members possessing the
Sky-Watcher ViewMax 127 Maksutov-Casssegrain
And I think it looks realli cool and the features are quite awesome for a beginner scope. but I think it costs about 1200 and above. So any recommendations for other models? Thanks! :D
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
If you have a good camera tripod and you do not require an EQ mount, may be you can just buy the OTA which cost around S$850.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

If you are not into astro-photography, I second Weixing's suggestion of using a good camera tripod. The Mak 127 is an excellent OTA, and IMHO presents an excellent trade-off between aperture, portability and price. Try not to get a scope of less than 5" aperture as your first scope, cause the views can be rather disappointing :)
ursaMinor

Post by ursaMinor »

Is Mak 127 capable of seeing nebulas and other deep-sky objects clearly? And I would also like to take a shot at astrophotography since I have not done it before anyway..
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
As long as the magnitude of the deep-sky objects is within the limiting magnitude of an 5 inch telescope, theoretically the Mak 127 should be able to see it. But most of time, it will depend on a lots of other factors, such as, atmospheric condition, light pollution, contrast of the object, sensitivity of your own eye and observation experience.

So if you cannot see a deep-sky object which magnitude is below the limiting magnitude of the telescope, it may not be the fault of the telescope.

About deep-sky object astrophotography, you need quite a bit of initial investment, such as a good mount, a camera that allow long exposure, may be a guide scope, a reticle eyepiece and most important - a lots of patient.

Hope the above information is useful.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

A 5" scope will give you satisfying views of many nebulaes and DSOs even under Singapore skies. A 4" or smaller scope could be a let-down though... :)

As for astro-photography, I suggest gaining some visual observing experience first before you start invest money (possibly lots of it) in astro-photography.
ursaMinor

Post by ursaMinor »

hmm...uh, well ok den. first...I can't afford the Mak 127 yet. I would be really breaking my whole piggybank. I guess I have to settle for something lesser like skywatcher mc90. Thanks for everybody's advice anyway but but, if some1 wanna sell a 2nd hand scope, contact me k.
Cheers :)
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

Hi, what does 5" means? the focal length divided by the diameter of the lens?

Please help, newbie here.
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The 5" scope mean the aperture(diameter) of the telescope is 5 inches or around 127mm.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Hi,

5" means the diameter (or rather we call it aperture) of the scope. The bigger, the more light it can collect, so the better it is, but also the more expensive :(

What you said, focal length of telescope divided by diameter (more likely focal length) of lens is the magnification of what you see in the scope. Hope you learnt something, and pls correct me if I'm wrong. I tend to like to confuse things up abit :lol: