DSLRs and Astrophotography (Newbie here)

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Vince

Post by Vince »

blurblock wrote:
Hmmmm .... maybe I should try to take star trail again ... this time with 10D :) .... ok .... wait for the moon to hide itself ......
10D shoot star trails liao end up with a crapload of extra "stars" (i.e. Hotpixels.)...

I tried shooting Orion again tonight...this time guided and managed to get this photo...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Wow...very nice. I also want to try this in the future. By the way, how long did you guide, what setting did you use and your lens information???

Anyway, have you try the dark frame subtraction?? Your image seem a bit noisy... may be cause by the light pollution???

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Vince

Post by Vince »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Wow...very nice. I also want to try this in the future. By the way, how long did you guide, what setting did you use and your lens information???

Anyway, have you try the dark frame subtraction?? Your image seem a bit noisy... may be cause by the light pollution???

Have a nice day.
Hi WeiXing,

Photo details are as followed.

Camera : Canon EOS10D
Lens : 50mm f/1.4 USM
Exposure program : manual
Exposure time : 30seconds
F-Stop : f/2.8
ISO Speed ratings : ISO 400

30 second guided (approximate polar alignment) The camera was mounted on the GEQ tripod with motor drive meant for the Celestron C90.

It's a little noisy because of light pollution, long exposure and high ISO combo. Didn't really do any post-processing except convert the image from Canon RAW to JPEG using Photoshop CS.
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
You mean you mount your camera on the EQ mount alone??? If this is the case, this is consider unguided. May be you should mount your camera with your C90, so that you can use your C90 to guide and do a longer exposure.

Anyway, I will be trying out wide field astrophotography using my camera soon... hope that can obtain result as good as yours... :)
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Vince

Post by Vince »

weixing wrote:Hi,
You mean you mount your camera on the EQ mount alone??? If this is the case, this is consider unguided. May be you should mount your camera with your C90, so that you can use your C90 to guide and do a longer exposure.

Anyway, I will be trying out wide field astrophotography using my camera soon... hope that can obtain result as good as yours... :)
Unfortunately, I don't have the piggy back for my C90. However, I did take the following pictures prime focus off the C90 with the T-Adapter I purchased.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Moon shot from C90.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

hi vince..what's the focal length of the C90? seems the size of the moon looks awfully small for a Mak. For my ETX90 @ 1250mm, even a 40mm eyepiece would just barely fit into the camera's FOV...so your scope has to have a very short FL for such an image..good effort !
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think he use prime astrophotography (without eyepiece)...

Anyway, nice image!!
Yang Weixing
Vince

Post by Vince »

Airconvent wrote:hi vince..what's the focal length of the C90? seems the size of the moon looks awfully small for a Mak. For my ETX90 @ 1250mm, even a 40mm eyepiece would just barely fit into the camera's FOV...so your scope has to have a very short FL for such an image..good effort !
You might be doing eyepiece projection so there's magnification there. I'm using the C90 as a lens (prime focus photography) so it'll end up being a 1000mm f/11 lens.

The picture of the moon is actually resized. Original size is the one in my avatar...taken off the same photo.

edit : what camera are you using? The EOS 10D has a 1.6 crop factor which mean that technically, the lens is 1600mm instead of 1000mm as per full frame 35mm SLRs/DSLRs.
I can only identify Orion! :shock:
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

Just a question, you are doing prime focusing with EOS 10D .... what lens (the make and diameter) you use to do the prime focusing? Most of my lens are 77mm......