NINA - Slew to target not accurate

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
thesti2
Favourite scope: 8" dobsonian

NINA - Slew to target not accurate

Post by thesti2 »

Hi,

I am new to AP, and just got my gear not long time ago. I used NINA for the image acquisition software (along with other PHD2, Aztap, Green Swamp Server).

I have watched some videos and have connected the equipment successfully, I have done polar alignment by using the TPP in NINA. This is the result of the polar alignment, I hope it is not that bad. It shows 00degree, 11mins, 44secs of total error.

After that I try to go to some of DSO object, first I try the M31 since I have visibility of where it is located during my session as I check in SkySafari. So I pick that object in the SkyAtlas, Set for Framing Assistant, and then since I don't have any internet connectivity from my imaging place, I used the "Offline Sky Map" as the image source, then I click "Slew and Center". The mount start slewing but then it stopped at a different location then the one I checked in SkySafari, I tried a different method by getting the RA DEC location from Stellarium, but it still stop at a different location (same location as the previous).

Then I try to verify this by trying to goto Jupiter as I have visibility of Jupiter on the sky (I took the coordinate of Jupiter from Stellarium), and it stopped at the different location of where Jupiter was. This is the image the dot on the sky is the Jupiter but you can see the scope is pointing to another location.

What went wrong here? What should I check?

List of my gear, in case needed:
SWSA GTi, Askar FMA 230, ASI 533mc, Svbony 30mm guide scope, ASI 120mm min

Thank you.
rcj
Vendor

Re: NINA - Slew to target not accurate

Post by rcj »

Hi thesti2,

Hmmm... if Slew and Center is not getting the object within the imaging FOV centered or even close, can you perhaps share further insights on the plate solving aspects? Are you using ASTAP? And also what is your settle time setting when NINA captures the star field and attempts to plate solve? Try to set the settle time after slew to about 10-15 seconds (can be found under Options > Equipment Tab, under Telescope section as "Settle time after slew"). And in this same section, have you input the operating focal length and focal ratio correctly? It may be good (for now) to set No Sync to off. And then also the camera section above it - that the pixel size is also correctly input?

Key things to note, is to ensure, preferably before TPP, to make sure your plate solver settings are correctly set (assuming you have already have solver properly installed too). I am also assuming that after TPP, the sky remains consistently clear, especially in the area that you are slewing to, but based on your environmental picture, it seems so.
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
thesti2
Favourite scope: 8" dobsonian

Post by thesti2 »

Hi RCJ,

Thanks for the reply. I took the gears out again tonight, unfortunately it was cloudy.
But now at least I am able to goto and center to M31 correctly and took 1 sub.

Yes, I believe all that you say is correct. I have input the parameter correctly (focal length, pixel size, etc). But there is this concept that I just knew today, which is Polar Alignment will only align with the earth rotation, but still the mount would not know where things are. I think the mount will assume that it is facing to polaris when it starts? So then I realized, I must use the "Sync" and "Reslew to target" option in NINA plate solving (or I think the frame assitance -> slew and center would do the same?). So, I pick a random target on the sky that is visible, plate solve, then NINA will sync with the mount and do multiple adjustments until it points to the correct location. After this I think the mount is sync and if I enter another object, and slew, the offset won't be too much.

This hobby indeed has a steep learning curve. Thanks for the reply.
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Glad things worked out for you. It used to be 100X way more steep in terms of learning. But it's an enjoyable journey! Go well.
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits