Does any one here make their own scope?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

alex wrote:eh. if u guys making, can i go see?
i also want to see!!! :oops: :oops:
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Yeah, sounds interesting, I haven't seen one in the making. But I'm havin' exams now and can't afford much time even into observations...

If someone is going to make one, could he post in this forum so we all know and can go 'chou re nao'? :P
lsy_98

Homemade telescope

Post by lsy_98 »

I've made a 3" refractor telescope f/10. I use camera tripod to support it.

Welcome to view and share knowledge.

You can contact me at 90176065.
dew

Post by dew »

BTW, Is anyone here into Refractor making too ? I've got plans to make my very own 80mm ED Refractor.
WOHO whats this man? make your own ED?? where you gonna get the optics? TMB is it? sounds cool man..
i've been trying to think of a way to put TMB refractor optics in a borg OTA body.. so i can get modular and lightweight borg together with first rate optics. anybody got a borg 125 OTA with a cracked objective?

eu-wen
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

WOHO whats this man? make your own ED?? where you gonna get the optics? TMB is it? sounds cool man..
i've been trying to think of a way to put TMB refractor optics in a borg OTA body.. so i can get modular and lightweight borg together with first rate optics. anybody got a borg 125 OTA with a cracked objective?

eu-wen
It's not from TMB as their objectives are too expensive to experiment with. The smallest 80mm APO objective with just the cell from TMB is already nearly US$1000.

If you're looking for a 4" TMB APO objective, it costs about the same as a new TeleVue 76 APO Refractor OTA-only package. US$16XX.
Samuel Ng

Post by Guest »

I have a copy of the 1961- [Construction Of A Maksutov Telescope]
By Warren I. Fillmore, and with the intention of proceeding with the plans within. Do any one have experience in such scope?
Both in use and construction. Advices or warnings are appreciateed.
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

Oh cool :) ..... I like to see a Maksutov Telecope being created :). BTW, where are you intending to get the mirror and the lens? You are trying to build a Maksutov-Newtonian or a Maksutov-Cassegrain ??? If I remember correctly, Samuel has a Maksutov-Newtonian and a Maksutov-Cassegrain, his Intes Micro MN56 and his APM Gemany 130 MCT....

If you need to buy the parts, Samuel might have it too ;)...... oh, if everythings goes smoothly, my MCT (Konus 130) will be arriving soon too :)>
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

I just completed my very first ATM Refractor project over the past few days. I call it the 'RX80-L' . Will post some pictures when I get my camera back :D It's an 80mm f/8.75 achromat with a PVC pipe body. It looks quite ok, but I wonder how it will really perform outdoors.
Samuel Ng
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I have a copy of the 1961- [Construction Of A Maksutov Telescope]
By Warren I. Fillmore, and with the intention of proceeding with the plans within. Do any one have experience in such scope?
Both in use and construction. Advices or warnings are appreciateed.
Not to pour cool water, but making a MCT is basically impractical. First, it will be very difficult to get the corrector plate and the primary mirror for MCT. Remember, the secondary mirror is actually part of the corrector plate and must match the "hole" in the middle of the primary mirror. If you get an un-match corrector plate and primary mirror, your MCT will forever out of collimation. So basically you need to get it from the same manufacturer. Even you can get the match corrector plate and primary mirror, you still need to do the collimation which is not an easy task for MCT.

Anyway, it will be a lot more expensive than buying a MCT, so I don't see the point of making a MCT yourself. If you want to make a telescope, try a refractor or a reflector.

Have a nice day.

PS: Generally, it will be more expensive to make a telescope yourself than buying one, unless you are making a telescope greater than 8 inch or you have special requirement.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

unless one wants to take this as a personal challenge, it would not be practical to make a Mak individually. The effort of grinding the optics and matching them is an art in itself. Making refractors is the next best thing but if aperture is required, the best is to make a large Newtonian.

On chap figured a way to make large Newtonians cheaply without all the expensive stuff like equatorial mounts, etc. Today, such scopes are named after him...his name? you guessed right; Dobson! The scopes are called Dobsonians..
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets