IYA2009 - Galileoscope

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
kirbyong

Post by kirbyong »

hey guys. hello i'm new here. erm i have got myself a galileoscope and am wondering, what is it capable of? in terms of what can i see, and how far i can see into space with it. anyone have any idea?
thanks
and btw, i am wondering, do i need a dry cabinet or anything like that for the scope?
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Unfortunately, not much in our skies. However, it will give nice views of the moon, Jupiter, Saturn and even Mars as well as the brighter DSO like the Orion Nebula.
Don't think its cost effective to buy a dry box for it but if you use it often, then it is not an issue. In anycase, you can easily take it apart to clean any fungus if required.
have fun with your scope...its quite well built, isn't it?
[smilie=admire.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
kirbyong

Post by kirbyong »

yup it sure is. haha yup i hate singapore skies. most times its cloudy gahhhh. haha anyway, do you have a tripod stand for your scope?
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

mm..tried it out just now but not too impressed with the optics after being spoilt by 18 inchers! But the conditions tonight was not very good anyway.
Managed to take a peek at the moon at the default x25 and with barlow at x50. Also managed to see Jupiter although I could not make out any moons.
The focussing tube makes it a tad difficult to focus though and because I forgot to bring a diagonal, the exercise mostly strained my knees and neck so after 10 min I decided to wait for a better night. But for the price, I guess its value for money. Would have been better if they used at least a helical focusser.

[smilie=cool.gif]
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Well, for a sub-$100 scope, I don't think you can demand too much out of it!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Tachyon wrote:Well, for a sub-$100 scope, I don't think you can demand too much out of it!
yup...considering it cost only US$15 (excluding the high shipping cost), it really offers true value. I'm going to take it out on the next opportunity to try it with a diagonal and maybe with my Radian 14mm....heh heh
crandf

Post by crandf »

Just found this thread, and my hands are inexplicably itchy again, hehehe.... Feel like getting one as a collection or maybe future gift.
However.

If we include the US shipping costs, plus shipping to SG via vpost/borderlinx/etc, costs are around SGD80, maybe a bit lesser with coupon codes etc. Is its performance still worth it vs just buying one of the cheap telescopes at Science Center or Toysrus?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think you can check with Astro Bargains: http://www.astrobargains.com

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
mandaragit

Post by mandaragit »

I got this on astrobargains, my first ever telescope :D I finally got to see jupiter and it's moons (pinpoints of light). Got it for 59 at the time, now I think it's selling for 69.
crandf

Post by crandf »

Hmmm, ok, I'll get one then.